Electrodynamics from Jefimenko's equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of teaching electrodynamics starting from Jefimenko's equations and the ease of understanding for students. It also touches on the relationship between Jefimenko's equations and Maxwell's equations, as well as the role of gauge invariance and the continuity equation. The conclusion is that Jefimenko's equations can be derived from Maxwell's equations and vice versa, but the continuity equation must be introduced separately.
@vanhees71 are you familiar with anyone who teaches electrodynamics starting from Jefimenko's equations? What would you think about such an approach?

I haven't thought it through carefully yet, but I wonder if it would be easier for students to grasp. The connection to relativity would be a simple matter of explaining how the four current transforms.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure. Usually you take the four-potential either in Lorenz or Coulomb gauge. In the Lorenz gauge, using Cartesian coordinates, your four components are decoupled and obey the wave equation. Then you choose the retarded solution for these waves. In Coulomb gauge, using Cartesian coordinates, you get a Poisson equation for ##\Phi=A^0## and decoupled wave equations for ##\vec{A}## but with a modified current density. Again using the retarded solution for the latter, you get in both cases the same result for the electromagnetic field (i.e., Jefimenko's equations), as it must be, because Lorenz and Coulomb gauge potentials are just mapped to each other by a gauge transformation.

On the other hand, you can choose any other not so common gauge. I can't find it at the moment, but there was once a very illuminating article in Am. J. Phys. where the author showed that you can define gauges, where part of the potential propagator at either speed you like (in Lorenz gauge all components are retarded with ##c## as the "signal velocity", in Coulomb gauge the scalar potential (temporal part of the four-potential) is intantaneous), all leading to the correct Jefimenko solutions for the field components.

Of course, there's no principle way to argue for the one or the other gauge (except simplifications to find proper solutions for a given problem) how the four-potential propagate, because they always contain unphysical degrees of freedom, which precisely cancel when calculating the electromagnetic field from the potentials. For the electromagnetic field components however, you can argue that it must be retarded with ##c## being the phase velocity of all field components, because these are observable fields. So I think, it's indeed pretty straight forward to derive Jefimenko's equations directly from Maxwell's equations. I'll try to do this later today.

Yes I have seen derivations of Jefimenko's equations from Maxwells equations. But I wonder if the reverse were true. Is it possible to derive Maxwell's equations from Jefimenko's.

Regarding the gauge, I was thinking of just sticking with the Lorenz gauge in order to make the later introduction of relativity more natural.

That's a good question too. I think it should be possible to derive Maxwell's equations from Jefimenko's. Of course you have to assume that strict local charge conservatios, i.e., the continuity equation
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=0$$
holds for the electromagnetic charge-current densities.

I had forgotten about that. The continuity equation can be derived from Maxwells equations, but I don't think that it can be derived from Jefimenkos equations. So I think it would have to be introduced separately.

The continuity equation is forced by gauge invariance, i.e., it must hold as an "integrability constraint", independent of the dynamics of the charges. Thus, any model, where the dynamics of the charges is incompatible with charge conservation leads to a contradiction with the em. field equations.

Thus, if you consider the approximation, where the charge-current density is given as an external four-vector field you must assume that the continuity equation holds. Otherwise Jefimenko's equation do not give correct solutions of the Maxwell equations.

vanhees71 said:
The continuity equation is forced by gauge invariance
I did not know that. Thanks.

Related to Electrodynamics from Jefimenko's equations

1. What are Jefimenko's equations?

Jefimenko's equations are a set of mathematical equations derived from Maxwell's equations that describe the electric and magnetic fields produced by moving electric charges. They take into account the effects of both electric and magnetic fields on each other and can be used to calculate the electromagnetic fields at any point in space and time.

2. How are Jefimenko's equations different from Maxwell's equations?

Jefimenko's equations are a reformulation of Maxwell's equations that take into account the time-varying nature of electric and magnetic fields. They also include the effects of both electric and magnetic fields on each other, whereas Maxwell's equations only consider the effects of electric fields on magnetic fields and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of Jefimenko's equations?

Jefimenko's equations are important in the field of electrodynamics because they provide a more complete understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They allow for the calculation of electric and magnetic fields at any point in space and time, taking into account the effects of both fields on each other. This makes them useful for studying a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of charged particles to the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

4. How are Jefimenko's equations used in research and applications?

Jefimenko's equations are used in a variety of research and applications, including in the fields of electromagnetism, plasma physics, and astrophysics. They are particularly useful for studying the behavior of electromagnetic fields in complex systems, such as in the design of electronic devices or in the study of astrophysical phenomena like pulsars and black holes.

5. Are there any limitations to Jefimenko's equations?

Like any mathematical model, Jefimenko's equations have their limitations. They are based on certain assumptions and may not accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in all situations. For example, they do not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics or the presence of magnetic monopoles. Additionally, they may become more complex and difficult to solve in systems with varying material properties or boundary conditions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the applicability and limitations of Jefimenko's equations in any research or application.