Electromagnetic holding force to size of Magnet Ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an electromagnet in a semi-permanent wire swing. The question is whether a seven ounce electromagnet can hold 600 pounds if there is no limit to the amount of electricity powering it. The reason for the weight requirement is for safety purposes, as the maximum force on the wire and magnet would be three times the weight of a 200 pound man swinging at a 90 degree angle. It is suggested that using permanent magnets may be easier in this situation. A sketch of the setup is requested for better understanding.
Cire Venn
Hey all, I'm new here and hoping to enjoy glorious physics with you all!
I have a problem and a question; the problem is I don't know much about electromagnets and want to build something rather involved using an electromagnet. XD
The question shall be explained..
General Concept:
I'm going to build a semi-permanent wire swing; this swing shall be attached to a 2 inch thick steel plate by a small electromagnet; the steel plate permanently mounted to a tree. (imagine a wire with an electromagnet on one end affixed to a steel plate)
I'm going to use mechanical means to toss the electromagnet at the steel plate trailing the wire; the wire and magnet need to be under one pound or I won't be able to propel it without an unrealistically large amount of force. The wire weighs nine onuses; that leaves seven onuses for the magnet. So my question is this: is it possible for a seven ounce electromagnet to hold 600 pounds; assuming there is no limit to the amount of electricity I can power the magnet with?

Reason for 600 pounds...
With safety in mind; If a 200 lbs man were to swing from a 90 degree angel; the most force the wire (and magnet) will be under is about three times the weight of the man; thus the 600 lbs.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the electromagnet is suppoed to hold the whole swing (with a passenger), where is the point in the strict weight requirement? Can you draw a sketch?
US-units are weird, but I still think those specifications are hard to meet. It would be much easier with permanent magnets. There are geometries where you can rotate them to switch their external field on and off.

mfb said:
If the electromagnet is suppoed to hold the whole swing (with a passenger), where is the point in the strict weight requirement? Can you draw a sketch?
US-units are weird, but I still think those specifications are hard to meet. It would be much easier with permanent magnets. There are geometries where you can rotate them to switch their external field on and off.
It would be easier with permanent magnets? I was under the impression electromagnetic magnets were more powerful.
Where is the point in the strict weight requirement? Do you mean what is the point in the struct weight requirement? As for where it is the most extra force is exerted at the point when the wire is vertical during the swing.

Cire Venn said:
I was under the impression electromagnetic magnets were more powerful.
For the same weight? No.
They can give a higher peak magnetic field.

Cire Venn said:
Where is the point in the strict weight requirement? Do you mean what is the point in the struct weight requirement?
I mean strict.
Cire Venn said:
As for where it is the most extra force is exerted at the point when the wire is vertical during the swing.
I don't understand what you mean.

Please give a sketch of the setup, that would really help to understand what you want to do with the magnet.

Hello there! Welcome to the world of physics. Your question is quite interesting and involves a few different concepts. Let me try to break it down for you.

Firstly, the strength of an electromagnet is determined by its magnetic field, which is directly proportional to the amount of electric current passing through it. In other words, the more electricity you can power the magnet with, the stronger its magnetic field will be.

Now, let's talk about the electromagnetic holding force. This force is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field of the electromagnet and the magnetic field of the steel plate. The strength of this force is determined by the size of the electromagnet and the distance between the magnet and the steel plate.

In your case, you have a 7 ounce electromagnet and a 2 inch thick steel plate. Without knowing the specific details of your electromagnet, it is difficult to determine the exact holding force. However, based on the weight and size of your magnet, it is unlikely that it would be able to hold 600 pounds. The holding force would be much less than that.

Additionally, it is important to consider the safety of your swing. The force exerted on the wire and magnet when a 200 pound person is swinging at a 90 degree angle is not just three times their weight. It is also affected by the velocity and acceleration of the swing, which can greatly increase the force.

In summary, while your idea for a semi-permanent wire swing is creative, it may not be feasible with the electromagnet and weight limitations you have described. It is important to carefully consider the strength and safety of your design before attempting to build it. I hope this helps!

1. What is the relationship between the size of a magnet and the strength of its electromagnetic holding force?

The strength of an electromagnet's holding force is directly proportional to the size of the magnet. This means that as the size of the magnet increases, so does the strength of its electromagnetic holding force.

2. How does the shape of a magnet affect its electromagnetic holding force?

The shape of a magnet does not have a significant impact on its electromagnetic holding force. The main factor that determines the strength of the force is the size of the magnet.

3. Can the strength of an electromagnet's holding force be increased by adding more coils?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet's holding force can be increased by adding more coils to the magnet. This is because the more coils that are added, the stronger the magnetic field becomes, resulting in a stronger holding force.

4. What materials are used to make electromagnets?

Electromagnets are typically made using a soft iron core and copper wire. The iron core provides a strong magnetic field, while the copper wire allows for the flow of electricity to create the electromagnet.

5. What factors can affect the strength of an electromagnet's holding force?

The strength of an electromagnet's holding force can be affected by several factors, including the size of the magnet, the number of coils, the amount of current flowing through the coils, and the material of the core. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and the presence of other magnetic fields can also impact the strength of the force.