Electromagnetic Lagrangian Invariance

In summary, Neuenschwander claims that the Lagrangian for a charged particle in an electromagnetic field must be invariant under a transformation, but provides equations that do not always hold.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
This is an example from "Noether's Theorem" by Neuenschwander. Chapter 5, example 4, page 74-75.

He gives the Lagrangian for a charged particle in an electromagnetic field:

##L=\frac12 m \dot {\vec{r}}^2+e \dot{\vec{r}} \cdot \vec{A} -eV##

And claims invariance invariance under the transformation:

##t'=t(1+\epsilon); \ x^{\mu'}=x^{\mu}(1+\frac12 \epsilon)##

And gives ##\frac12 \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} - Ht## as the conserved quantity, where ##\vec{p} = m\dot{\vec{r}} + e\vec{A}##

First, I didn't see any way this was going to work out in general. Then, I considered the electric field associated with a charged particle:

##\vec{A} = 0; \ V = \frac{V_0}{r}##

And, that doesn't lead to the required invariance, as far as I can see.

Any ideas?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I went back to this problem and have got the following equations that must be satisfied for "invariance" of the functional under the above transformation:

$$\vec{\nabla} A_x \cdot \vec{r} + A_x + 2 \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} t = 0$$
$$\vec{\nabla} V \cdot \vec{r} + 2V + 2 \frac{\partial V}{\partial t} t = 0$$

With, obviously, the same equation for ##A_y## and ##A_z##.

Since there are separate equations for the electric and magnetic potentials, I don't see how they can be satisfied for every EM field. And, in fact, for the simple, static example, the ##V## equation is not satisfied.

I would be interested whether these equations are known in the theory of EM? My provisional assumption at this stage is that Neuenschwander has got this wrong.

Note: the reason I went back to this is that a later problem (6.5) looks at the invariance of the EM Lagrangian under a Lorentz Transformation. Given that the Kinetic Energy is in the wrong form for invariance under Lorentz, this seems to me an even more bizarre and unlikely problem. I already know that the terms due to the KE are not going to cancel out and I don't see how any EM potentials will change that. I might post something on this once I've looked at it.

If anyone has studied this book, perhaps they can enlighten me about what is going on here. I'm concerned I'm missing something fundamental.

1. What is electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance?

Electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance is a principle in physics that states that the laws of electromagnetism should remain the same regardless of the frame of reference used to observe them.

2. How does electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance relate to special relativity?

Electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance is closely related to special relativity, as both theories deal with the concept of invariance and the idea that physical laws should be the same for all observers.

3. What is the role of the Lagrangian in electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance?

The Lagrangian is a function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position and velocity. In electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance, the Lagrangian is used to construct equations that are invariant under changes in reference frame, ensuring that the laws of electromagnetism are consistent for all observers.

4. Are there any experimental tests for electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have tested the principles of electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance. These experiments have consistently shown that the laws of electromagnetism are indeed invariant under changes in reference frame.

5. What are the implications of electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance for modern physics?

The principle of electromagnetic Lagrangian invariance has had a significant impact on modern physics, particularly in the development of theories such as special relativity and quantum electrodynamics. It has also led to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of electromagnetic fields and particles.