Can a Flashlight Propel an Astronaut Back to the Shuttle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spacewalking astronaut who is out of fuel and needs to use her flashlight as a "light rocket" to reach the space shuttle. The conversation explores using Newton's Law and converting watts to Newtons in order to calculate the time it would take for the astronaut to reach the shuttle. The text answer provided by the book is incorrect and the correct answer is approximately 13.6 hours.
yogi41
I've been trying to do this problem for about 2 hours now. I can't seem to find the right equations to use. Any help would be appreciated

A spacewalking astronaut servicing an orbiting space telescope has run out of fuel for her jet pack and is floating 20.0 m from the space shuttle with zero velocity relative to the shuttle. The astronaut and all her gear have a total mass of 150kg. If she uses her 220w flashlight as a "light rocket," how long will it take her to reach the shuttle?

Physics news on Phys.org
the light that a 220w flashlight generates does not create thrust, but the heat it produces will give you a thrust! She will arrive at the shuttle eventually if she doesn't run out of oxygen.

We can look at Newton's Law F=m x a

We don't know the Force produced by the flashlight, otherwise we can calculate it very easily:

Force = mass x acceleration

Force produced by the flashlight = 150kg x 20m/time/time

I forgot watt is energy in Newton per hour? If so, 220w is 220N/hour, LOL, wild guess, shoot me if got it wrong.

220N per hour = 150 x 20/time square

220N per hour = 3000 / time square

sqaure root 220N per hour = 3000 / time

14.832 per hour = 3000 / time

3000 / 14.832 per hour = time

202.265 hours = time

202 hours ! She is dead, trust me, LOL....

Last edited:
i know watt is joules per second. In the back of my book the answer is 25.1 hours. But i still can't seem to get anywhere close to that answer. I even tried E=c*p

Hey, I just checked my textbook, 1W=1 Newton meter per second!

220W = 220 Newton Meter Per Second!

220Newton Meter per hour = 150Kg x 20M/time/time

220N Meter per hour = 3000/time /time

220N = 3000/time/time / Meter per hour

220 = 3000 /time (in hour)

3000 / 220 = time (in hour)

time = 13.6 hours! your text answer is wrong. LOL

1. What is an electromagnetic problem?

An electromagnetic problem is any issue or challenge related to the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It can include topics such as electromagnetic radiation, electric circuits, and electromagnetic waves.

2. How do you solve an electromagnetic problem?

The first step in solving an electromagnetic problem is to clearly define the problem and understand the physical principles and equations involved. Then, appropriate mathematical techniques and computational tools can be used to analyze and solve the problem.

3. What are some common causes of electromagnetic problems?

Electromagnetic problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as interference from other electronic devices, faulty wiring or components, or inadequate shielding from external electromagnetic fields.

4. How are electromagnetic problems relevant to everyday life?

Electromagnetic problems are relevant to everyday life in many ways. For example, they are essential in the functioning of modern technology, such as cell phones and computers. They also play a role in electricity and power generation, as well as in medical imaging technologies like X-rays and MRIs.

5. What are some key principles to keep in mind when dealing with electromagnetic problems?

Some key principles to keep in mind when dealing with electromagnetic problems include understanding the properties of electric and magnetic fields, knowing how to use mathematical and computational tools to analyze and solve problems, and being aware of potential safety hazards related to electricity and electromagnetic radiation.