Electromagnetics coulombs law and field intensity

In summary, the problem asks to find the E field at point P(0,0,h) within a circular region with a radius of ρ and a uniform surface charge density ρ subscript s. The equations provided are Coulomb's law, and the fields of a line charge and a sheet charge. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation for the E field of a sheet charge, but this gave the wrong answer. The correct approach may involve finding an expression for the E field along the axis of a ring of charge, but this was not provided by the professor.
Alwaysprolol

Homework Statement

The circular region, ρ < a, z= 0, carries a uniform surface charge density ρ ( subscript s). Find E at P(0,0,h), h > 0.

Homework Equations

Coulombs law
Field of a line charge and field of a sheet charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what they are asking for , but my attempt I used the equation for a field of a sheet of charge cause it's the only one provided in the Homework that contains the ρ (subscript s).

It says E at point (0,0,h) so I'm guessing since its at z = 0 then the vector would be (0,0,h-0). Resulting in my result of

E = (ρ(subscript s) / 2ε ) (0,0,h)

Im not really sure what I'm supposed to be finding

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so I get a little bit, I'm looking for the E of a circular region with the radius of ρ ?

Alwaysprolol said:

Homework Statement

The circular region, ρ < a, z= 0, carries a uniform surface charge density ρ ( subscript s). Find E at P(0,0,h), h > 0.

Homework Equations

Coulombs law
Field of a line charge and field of a sheet charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what they are asking for , but my attempt I used the equation for a field of a sheet of charge cause it's the only one provided in the Homework that contains the ρ (subscript s).

It says E at point (0,0,h) so I'm guessing since its at z = 0 then the vector would be (0,0,h-0). Resulting in my result of

E = (ρ(subscript s) / 2ε ) (0,0,h)

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be finding
Hello Alwaysprolol. Welcome to PF !

(Use the X2 and X2 icons for superscripts & subscripts.)

Using the E field for an infinite sheet gives the wrong answer.

Do you have an expression for the E field along the axis of a ring of charge?

SammyS said:
Hello Alwaysprolol. Welcome to PF !

(Use the X2 and X2 icons for superscripts & subscripts.)

Using the E field for an infinite sheet gives the wrong answer.

Do you have an expression for the E field along the axis of a ring of charge?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I was not given one. The professor has given us only equations for E of a line charge and a sheet and I'm not quite sure how to utilize them in this question since its asking for the E in a circular region

either. I would need more context and information to provide a comprehensive response. However, based on the given information, it seems like you are trying to find the electric field at point P(0,0,h) in a circular region with a radius of a and a uniform surface charge density of ρ. In this case, you would use Coulomb's law to calculate the electric field at point P, which would be given by E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the source of the electric field. In this case, the source of the electric field would be the circular region with a surface charge density of ρ. You would need to integrate over the circular region to find the total charge and then use that value in Coulomb's law to calculate the electric field at point P. Alternatively, you could also use Gauss's law to find the electric field at point P, which would be given by E = ρ/ε, where ρ is the charge density and ε is the permittivity of the medium. Again, you would need to integrate over the circular region to find the total charge density and then use that value in Gauss's law to calculate the electric field at point P.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged particle or object in which a force would be exerted on another charged particle. The strength and direction of the electric field are determined by the magnitude and location of the electric charge.

3. How is Coulomb's Law related to electric field intensity?

Coulomb's Law and electric field intensity are closely related. The electric field intensity at a point is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point. Coulomb's Law allows us to calculate the electric field intensity at a point due to a single charged particle or a group of charged particles.

4. How do you calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula: F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. It is important to note that the force is a vector quantity and the direction of the force is along the line connecting the two charges.

5. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law and is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism.