Electromagnetism and theoretical shape of a photon

In summary, according to the theory of relativity, gamma rays would be perceived as different frequencies depending on the relative velocity of the emitting and receiving objects. If both the emitter and receiver are stationary, they will see the same frequency. If the emitter and receiver are travelling at different speeds, the gamma ray will be perceived as different frequencies. Additionally, if photons have fractals at the front of them, this could explain neutrinos as being these fractals separated from the EM force.
Hicks88
Hello all,

I have a few questions and a few thoughts

I think I understand that according to einsteins theory of relativity, wavelengths can be perceived differently when traveling at different velocities comparatively to when it was emitted. i.e. if something traveling close to the speed of light were to emit light, it would still only be able to travel at the speed of light, but space would expand and time would shrink to accommodate for this. this would be gamma rays if perceived by something stationary? similarly, something with little velocity shining a light - which is then picked up by something accelerating very fast away from it - the EM could be perceived as radio waves due to it being elongated when received?

As per my attached drawings, if EM were a rip running along space-time at the speed of light - this is how it could travel. The detailed drawing showing electricity, and the smaller one showing how magnetism travels in relation to the first.

I have designed it as a self propegating system - only traveling in spirals or fractals. when combined this should give a sine wave

Also, if photons had fractals at the front of them - could this explain neutrinos as being these fractals separated from the EM force? It would in my opinion explain a lot of the wave/particle questions. (things have mass because this fractal energy is bound by strong neuclear force? - could the strong neuclear force etc possibly be explained by the way in which light travels?) Rather than simply stating it as just being a wave?

Cheers

Jamie

Attachments

• 2014-09-14_183808.png
    2014-09-14_183808.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 2014-09-14_185536.png
    2014-09-14_185536.png
    13 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
but space would expand and time would shrink to accommodate for this.
That is not a meaningful description.

this would be gamma rays if perceived by something stationary?
Stationary relative to what? There is no absolute "stationary". Different observers can see different frequencies, yes. This includes gamma rays.

similarly, something with little velocity shining a light - which is then picked up by something accelerating very fast away from it - the EM could be perceived as radio waves due to it being elongated when received?
Large relativistic effects need large relative velocities. If both emitter and [edit] receiver do not move fast relative to each other, they will see nearly the same frequency.

As per my attached drawings, if EM were a rip running along space-time at the speed of light - this is how it could travel. The detailed drawing showing electricity, and the smaller one showing how magnetism travels in relation to the first.

I have designed it as a self propegating system - only traveling in spirals or fractals. when combined this should give a sine wave

Also, if photons had fractals at the front of them - could this explain neutrinos as being these fractals separated from the EM force? It would in my opinion explain a lot of the wave/particle questions. (things have mass because this fractal energy is bound by strong neuclear force? - could the strong neuclear force etc possibly be explained by the way in which light travels?) Rather than simply stating it as just being a wave?
This part does not make sense at all.

Last edited:
That is not a meaningful description.

as per minkowski spacetime, space and time are linked but can vary hyperbolically. i.e. mass moving close the speed of light next to another object which is relatively still - and likewise (as won't be able to tell which one is moving if there is no deceleration / acceleration on either). one would see the others mass as being shorter than it really is (due to time passing slower on the "moving" object from the perspective of the other) this happens as space has expanded due to the slowing of time - i think..

Stationary relative to what? There is no absolute "stationary". Different observers can see different frequencies, yes. This includes gamma rays.

Stationary relative to the velocity of the object that produced the light

Large relativistic effects need large relative velocities. If both emitter and sender do not move fast relative to each other, they will see nearly the same frequency.

I think you mean the emitter and receiver? I understand that principle, explains redshift a bit better with the expansion of space.

This part does not make sense at all.

No worries, i'll work on clarification / putting this into mathematical terms.

Thanks for the feedback

A photon has no meaningful 'extent' so how can it have a 'theoretical shape'? You could hazard a 'hypothetical shape' but there is no evidence (measurement), afaik, to support that hypothesis. It lies within the realm of personal models that don't really fit the brief of PF.
You can talk validly about wavelength changes but you can't have a model based on such a dodgy description of the photon.

Hicks88 said:
I think you mean the emitter and receiver?
Oops. Sure.

I understand that principle, explains redshift a bit better with the expansion of space.
Don't mix completely different concepts here.

No worries, i'll work on clarification / putting this into mathematical terms.
Before you do that, please check our forum rules, as personal theories are not allowed here.

mfb said:
Before you do that, please check our forum rules, as personal theories are not allowed here.

And on that note, thread locked.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that governs the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the interactions between them.

2. What is the theoretical shape of a photon?

According to quantum mechanics, a photon is a fundamental particle that is considered to be both a particle and a wave. Therefore, it does not have a specific shape like a solid object, but it can be described as a wave function that represents its probability of existence at different points in space.

3. How does electromagnetism relate to the theoretical shape of a photon?

Electromagnetism is the force that allows photons to interact with other charged particles. The theoretical shape of a photon as a wave function determines how it behaves and interacts with other particles in the presence of electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can the theoretical shape of a photon change?

The theoretical shape of a photon is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and is considered to be a fundamental property of the particle. However, it can be affected by the environment and interactions with other particles, leading to changes in its behavior and properties.

5. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has countless applications in our daily lives, such as in electricity and magnetism, telecommunications, electronics, and medical technologies. It is also crucial for understanding and developing technologies related to energy, transportation, and modern infrastructure.