Electromagnetism: Determining Induced EMF

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of the work for parts a) and b) and the need for help with part c). They also mention the importance of knowing the direction of the magnetic field B and the observation that the EMF changes sign at t=1, leading to a reversal in the direction of current. The conversation ends with a thank you for the assistance.
Pi314227
Homework Statement
There are 3 parts to the question:
A) Determine the induced EMF as a function of time in a circular loop lying perpendicularly to a constant magnetic field if the radius of the loop decreases by r(t) = 5(1-t).
B) Find out the values of the EMF at t= 0,0.1,0.2,...,0.8 seconds.
C) What will be the direction of the current in the loop at t=0 seconds? At what time will the direction of current get reversed?
Relevant Equations
1) Closed loop integral of EMF = -1 times the derivative with respect to time of the integral of B.n
2) Change in EMF = -1 times the derivative of B with respect to time
IMG_20200930_112032.jpg
IMG_20200930_112047.jpg
IMG_20200930_112032.jpg
IMG_20200930_112047.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work for a) and b) looks correct to me.

Delta2 said:
Your work for a) and b) looks correct to me.
What about part c? Could you help in that?

For c) i think i have to know the direction of the magnetic field B. Also i am not sure what happens at t=1 since the radius becomes zero then, but yes it looks like the EMF changes sign(polarity) at that point and hence the direction of current is reversed.

Delta2 said:
For c) i think i have to know the direction of the magnetic field B. Also i am not sure what happens at t=1 since the radius becomes zero then, but yes it looks like the EMF changes sign(polarity) at that point and hence the direction of current is reversed.
Right. The direction of the magnetic field B was not given. Thankyou so much for your help. Appreciate it alot! :)

Likes berkeman and Delta2

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the early 19th century.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a conductor. It can be expressed as E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, the number of turns in the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor.

4. How is Lenz's law related to induced EMF?

Lenz's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that the induced EMF will always be in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging, electromagnetic braking, and induction cooktops.