Electromagnetism EMF induction calculations

In summary, the induced emf in a square conducting loop in a non-uniform magnetic field is given by: -B0(a^5t^2)/3.
imranh88
Homework Statement
Electromagnetism EMF induction help
Relevant Equations
Faradays law
A square conducting loop of side length a is in a non-uniform magnetic field. The loop occupies the first quadrant of the xy plane, i.e. the space between the origin (x, y) = (0,0) and the point (x,y) = (a, a). The magnetic field is in the +z direction. Develop an expression for the magnitude of the emf induced in the coil, if: a) The magnetic field magnitude is increasing with time and is given by B(x, y, t) = Boxyt3? 18 marks b) The magnetic field magnitude is constant with respect to time and is given by B(x, y) = Box" y, but the loop is moving along the + y direction at a constant speed v? (You can assume that loop position described above is for t=0 s). 18 marks What is the direction of the induced emf for the two cases? 14 marks [20 marks total]

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What I did for part a, was integrate the expression for B with respect to x and again with respect to y. then differentiated with respect to t giving: emf= -B0(a^5t^2)/3 is this correct?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

imranh88 said:
Homework Statement: Electromagnetism EMF induction help
Homework Equations: Faradays law

The magnetic field magnitude is increasing with time and is given by B(x, y, t) = Boxyt3?
Sorry, that is very hard to try to parse. Can you scan the problem and Attach the PDF as a file? It's hard to try to convert what you have posted into a coherent problem statement. Thanks.

imranh88 said:
What I did for part a, was integrate the expression for B with respect to x and again with respect to y. then differentiated with respect to t giving: emf= -B0(a^5t^2)/3 is this correct?
Also, it would really help if you could post your math equations in LaTeX. There is a tutorial that you can get to via INFO, Help at the top of the page.

imranh88 said:
Homework Statement: Electromagnetism EMF induction help
Homework Equations: Faradays law

B(x, y, t) = Boxyt3
I have no idea what you are saying here.
Questions that are well constructed and communicated tend to get better answers.

Likes berkeman
DaveE said:
I have no idea what you are saying here.
Questions that are well constructed and communicated tend to get better answers.

for part (a) the equation is: B_{0}x^{2}yt^{3}
for part (b) the equation is: B_{0}x^x{2}y

Thank you guys for helping me, when you really do not have to :)
I have attached the question below.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 14.37.15.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 14.37.15.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 188
imranh88 said:
This is my working: with part b having 2 methods as I am not sure on the context of the question. whether the moving loop is moving into the field or if it is moving while already being entirely subject to the field. My guess is the latter, which would correspond to the left hand side marking. the part c is provided at the end of each part, and was done via simple use of Lenz' law.

Please could you help me out and let me know if I am correct.

Thank you all :)

Attachments

• Scannable Document on 26 Nov 2019 at 2_39_31 pm.png
    Scannable Document on 26 Nov 2019 at 2_39_31 pm.png
    33 KB · Views: 213
Likes Delta2
for part (b) of this questions the proper to answer questions based on the theme of motional EMF is through integration and the use of the cross product between the vectors v x B. Therefore, your answer using the first method is correct.

Likes berkeman and imranh88
putsub12jk said:
for part (b) of this questions the proper to answer questions based on the theme of motional EMF is through integration and the use of the cross product between the vectors v x B. Therefore, your answer using the first method is correct.

Thank you so much!

Can I leave the velocity vector as I did? Also are my directions of induced emf correct? any idea if my part a is correct?

you can either express the velocity vector is terms the displacement of the square conducting loop and time, alternatively it would also be good to state the direction of the velocity vector itself i.e. in the +y direction maybe in the step before in your workings. So you can state v sub y hat cross B sub x hat. And yes your direction is also correct as it follows Lenz's Law.

Likes berkeman and imranh88
putsub12jk said:
you can either express the velocity vector is terms the displacement of the square conducting loop and time, alternatively it would also be good to state the direction of the velocity vector itself i.e. in the +y direction maybe in the step before in your workings. So you can state v sub y hat cross B sub x hat. And yes your direction is also correct as it follows Lenz's Law.
You have been an invaluable help. Thank you so much. Highly appreciated.

Likes putsub12jk

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process where an electrical current is produced in a conductor by varying the magnetic field around it. This is the principle behind the operation of generators and transformers.

2. How is EMF induction calculated?

EMF (electromotive force) induction is calculated using Faraday's law, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a conductor. This can be expressed as EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the conductor and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. What factors affect EMF induction?

There are several factors that can affect EMF induction, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the material of the conductor. These factors can also affect the magnitude and direction of the induced current.

4. How does the shape of a conductor affect EMF induction?

The shape of a conductor can affect EMF induction in several ways. A longer conductor will have a higher resistance, which can decrease the induced current. Additionally, the shape of the conductor can affect the direction of the induced current, as the magnetic field lines may interact differently with different shapes.

5. What are some real-life applications of EMF induction calculations?

EMF induction calculations are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as power generation, electric motors, and wireless charging. They are also important in understanding how electromagnetic waves are produced and propagated, which is essential in fields such as telecommunications and radar technology.