Magnetic Field of Current loop around the Core

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic field created by a current loop, taking into consideration the geometry of the material. It is mentioned that the iron core can qualitatively change the magnetic field and that the first picture can be solved easily using the Bio-Savart-Laplace law. However, for the second picture with the iron bar, a numeric calculation is needed and using a 3D compass to follow the field direction is suggested. The possibility of using a vector potential (B=curl (A)) for complex geometry is also mentioned.
FelixTheWhale
Hello friends, I am trying to find how calculate the magnetic field created by current loop considering that there is a some geometry of material that can enhance the magnetic field. I thought it can be solved by multipling by permeability μ but realized that the iron core changes the picture of magnetic qualitatively.

To illustrate this i attached image for: only coil (1) and coil around the iron bar (2).

For the first picture, it is easy to integrate by Bio-Savart-Laplace law, but..
How to find he field for any point at the second picture?

image.jpg

Or, more complicated case:
mm2.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The latter case is easy if the width of the airgap is small ( the magnetic field in the airgap is almost homogenous ).

From Ampere's law you know that
H⋅ds = N*I ( complete circular path )
Also you know that Hiron = μr,iron * Hair

In case of the rod/solenoid, you don't quite know the path of the magnetic field. Some numeric calculation will be needed. ( See my avatar ).

Likes FelixTheWhale
Nice image! What can you advise to make a numeric calculation? Is it possible to apply a vector potential (B=curl (A)) to have the solution for complex geometry?

FelixTheWhale said:
What can you advise to make a numeric calculation?
I have used high precision Biot-Savart calculation. Just use a 3D compass and follow the field direction from some point, until the field bites its own tail.

Likes FelixTheWhale

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be observed. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

How is a magnetic field created by a current loop around a core?

A current loop around a core creates a magnetic field by the flow of electric charge through the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the direction of the magnetic field inside and outside the current loop?

Inside the current loop, the magnetic field lines are parallel and in the same direction as the current. Outside the current loop, the magnetic field lines are circular and perpendicular to the current, creating a toroidal shape.

How does the magnetic field strength change with distance from the current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance from the current loop. The magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance from the current loop, meaning that the farther away you are, the weaker the magnetic field will be.

What is the relationship between the current, number of loops, and magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the current and the number of loops in the current loop. This means that increasing the current or the number of loops will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing these parameters will result in a weaker magnetic field.