Electromotive force (EMF) induced in a rectangular loop

In summary, we discussed the relationship between Emf induced and flux, and the use of Faraday's Law to calculate the induced emf. We also explored the formula for induced emf when assuming constant rotation speed. Based on this, the calculated emf was found to be -1.708 x 10^-3 V.
Fleuryette
Homework Statement
A rectangular single loop of wire of length 0.035m and width 0.015m is positioned at 45° to a uniform magnetic field of 2.3T. The loop is rotated through 45° so that its plane is parallel to the magnetic field. Determine the electromotive force (e.m.f.) induced in the loop if the rotation takes 0.5s
Relevant Equations
emf = BAN cosθ

Attachments

• EM 2018 Q8.png
    EM 2018 Q8.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 265
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, so you have calculated the flux [itex] \Phi_B = \int \vec B \cdot d\vec A [/itex], but what is the relationship between Emf induced and the flux? Have you heard of Faraday's Law, which states that the emf induced is given by [itex] Emf_{induced} = -N\frac{d\Phi_{B}}{dt} [/itex]. If you are assuming that this rotates at a constant speed, then you can change the formula to [itex] Emf_{induced} = -N\frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t} [/itex].

Hope that is some help. I can answer more questions, but I am trying not to give the answer away.

Hello, thank you for your message! After some thought and looking around in textbooks etc. I believe that by using [itex] Emf_{induced} = -N\frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t} [/itex] I have calculated the Emf to be [itex] -1\frac{0 - (8.54\text{ x }10^{-4})}{0.5} = 1.708 \text{ x } 10^{-3} \text{ V}[/itex]

I hope this is correct?
Thank you

1. What is electromotive force (EMF)?

Electromotive force (EMF) is the potential difference created by an electric source, such as a battery or generator, that causes electric charges to flow through a circuit.

2. How is EMF induced in a rectangular loop?

EMF is induced in a rectangular loop when the loop is moved through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field passing through the loop changes. This induces a current in the loop, creating an EMF.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of EMF induced in a rectangular loop?

The magnitude of EMF induced in a rectangular loop depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the loop through the field, and the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the loop.

4. How is EMF induced in a rectangular loop different from a straight wire?

EMF induced in a rectangular loop is different from a straight wire because the loop has a changing orientation in the magnetic field, while the wire does not. This results in a changing magnetic flux and a varying induced EMF in the loop.

5. What is the practical application of EMF induced in a rectangular loop?

EMF induced in a rectangular loop has many practical applications, such as in generators that convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, in motors that convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in sensors that detect changes in magnetic fields.