Electron and hole concentration

In summary: If it is not, then you need to modify the equations for equilibrium.In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electron and hole concentrations and the position of the Fermi level in a non-degenerate semiconductor sample at T = 300 K with an intrinsic carrier concentration of 2 x 10^13 1/cm^3 and band effective densities of states of 10^19 1/cm^3. The calculations for both parts are provided, with a question about the correctness of the last step in part 2. It is mentioned that the equations may need to be modified for a non-intrinsic semiconductor.
NerdyGuy
Homework Statement
Physics, Semiconductor, carrier concentration
1. part unsolved
2. part solved, but not sure
Relevant Equations
##n = N_C \exp \left( - \frac{E_C - E_F}{k_B T} \right)##
##n_i (T) = \sqrt{N_C N_V} \exp \left( - \frac{E_g}{2 k_B T} \right)##
I can't solve the following exercise:

Assume for a certain non-degenerate semiconductor sampe at T = 300 K an intrinsic carrier concentration ##n_i = 2 \cdot 10^{13} \frac{1}{cm^3}## and the band effective densities of states ##N_C = N_V = 10^{19} \frac{1}{cm^3}##.
1. Determine the electron and hole concentrations n and p.
2. Find the position of the Fermi level in respect to the conduction band.

For part 1 I tried:
$$n_i (T) = \sqrt{N_C N_V} \exp \left( - \frac{E_g}{2 k_B T} \right) \\
= ... \approx 0.68 eV$$
But here I'm not sure if this is necessary and how to continue. Can anybody please help me?

My calculation for 2 is:
$$n = N_C \exp \left( - \frac{E_C - E_F}{k_B T} \right) $$
$$\Leftrightarrow E_C - E_F = k_B T \ln \left( \frac{N_C}{n} \right) $$
$$\Leftrightarrow E_C - E_F = 1,38 \cdot 10^{-23} \frac{J}{K} 300 K \ln \left( \frac{10^{19} \frac{1}{cm^3}}{2 \cdot 10^{13} \frac{1}{cm^3}} \right) $$
$$\approx 0.34 eV$$

Can anyone confirm this? Is the last step correct, where I set ##n = n_i = 2 \cdot 10^{13} \frac{1}{cm^3}##?

Best regards

NerdyGuy

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
First, welcome to PF!

For part #1, you did not state what values ##n## and ##p## are. Is this an intrinsic sample? If it is you can answer part #1 trivially. For part #2, you are correct only if this is an intrinsic semiconductor.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between electron and hole concentration?

Electron concentration refers to the number of free electrons in a material, while hole concentration refers to the number of vacancies in the valence band where an electron could exist. In other words, electron concentration measures the number of negatively charged particles, while hole concentration measures the number of positively charged particles.

2. How is electron and hole concentration related to conductivity?

Electron and hole concentration play a crucial role in determining the conductivity of a material. A higher concentration of either electrons or holes means more charge carriers are available to conduct electricity, resulting in a higher conductivity. Conversely, a lower concentration of charge carriers leads to lower conductivity.

3. Can electron and hole concentration be controlled in a material?

Yes, the electron and hole concentration in a material can be controlled through various methods such as doping, which involves adding impurities to the material to increase or decrease the concentration of charge carriers. Additionally, changing the temperature or applying an electric field can also affect the concentration of electrons and holes in a material.

4. How does temperature affect electron and hole concentration?

Temperature plays a significant role in determining the electron and hole concentration in a material. As temperature increases, more electrons are excited from the valence band to the conduction band, resulting in an increase in electron concentration. On the other hand, hole concentration decreases as some of the holes are filled by these excited electrons.

5. What is the significance of electron and hole concentration in semiconductor devices?

Electron and hole concentration are essential parameters in semiconductor devices as they determine the electrical properties of these materials. By controlling the concentration of electrons and holes, engineers can design and optimize the performance of semiconductor devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells.