Electron angular momentum, gyroscope?

In summary: Classical mechanics are the rules that govern the behavior of particles in the world that we experience. They deal with things like falling objects, bullets, and planets orbiting stars. They were developed in the 1700s by Isaac Newton.Schrodinger equationThis is the equation that describes the behavior of particles in the world that we experience, including electrons in atoms. It is a quantum mechanical equation.
Homestar1
Any spinning item, proton, electron, even planet, has angular momentum that creates force. How can an electron exist in a random orbital cloud around a spinning proton if it has an angular momentum and requires force to alter from any circular orbital plane (like a planet orbiting a star)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homestar1 said:
Any spinning item, proton, electron, even planet, has angular momentum
Yes.

Homestar1 said:
that creates force.
What force are you talking about?

Not sure the term, it is the force that you feel when you try to tilt a gyroscope, the resistance to changing the tilt of angular momentum if I'm describing that right.

Homestar1 said:
it is the force that you feel when you try to tilt a gyroscope
You mean, it's the force you have to exert to tilt a gyroscope. The gyroscope itself isn't "creating" any force.

Homestar1 said:
How can an electron exist in a random orbital cloud around a spinning proton if it has an angular momentum and requires force to alter from any circular orbital plane
An electron is not a classical spinning object. It's a quantum object. In the orbital states in atoms that you refer to, the electron does not have a definite orbital plane or a definite direction of its spin.

Excellent, that's how to explain it. So to get an electron cloud, would a continual, perhaps random, force need to be exerted on an election's angular momentum?

PeterDonis said:
An electron is not a classical spinning object. It's a quantum object. In the orbital states in atoms that you refer to, the electron does not have a definite orbital plane or a definite direction of its spin.
Could the lack of defined orbital plane be the result of the measurement used to look for it?

Homestar1 said:
Could the lack of defined orbital plane be the result of the measurement used to look for it?
Your keyboard has a lot of electrons in atomic orbitals, but they are not being measured. Still their positions and momenta are undefined.

Homestar1 said:
So to get an electron cloud, would a continual, perhaps random, force need to be exerted on an election's angular momentum?
No. All you have to do to "get an electron cloud" is put an electron in an atom, the way they naturally occur there.

Also, "exerting force on an electron's angular momentum" makes no sense.

Homestar1 said:
As has already been remarked, electrons in atoms aren't being measured. The lack of a well-defined "orbital plane" is just a natural property of the quantum states of electrons in atoms.

You labeled this question as "A" level, indicating a graduate level understanding of the subject. Your understanding of QM does not appear to be at that level. You appear to be thinking of electrons in atoms as little particles in particular classical orbits. They're not.

Moderator's note: A number of off topic posts have been deleted. Discussions of QM interpretations belong in the interpretations forum, not this one. Please keep discussion in this thread focused on the specific topic raised by the OP.

PeterDonis said:
No. All you have to do to "get an electron cloud" is put an electron in an atom, the way they naturally occur there.

Also, "exerting force on an electron's angular momentum" makes no sense.As has already been remarked, electrons in atoms aren't being measured. The lack of a well-defined "orbital plane" is just a natural property of the quantum states of electrons in atoms.

You labeled this question as "A" level, indicating a graduate level understanding of the subject. Your understanding of QM does not appear to be at that level. You appear to be thinking of electrons in atoms as little particles in particular classical orbits. They're not.
Ah. My PhD is in Medical Science, being brought into learning about QM based on a discovery currently in review. I'm trying to understand how it ties to QM as links can be seen. New to the forum so now I understand that selecting "A" refers to level of question, not level of my training. Which are not necessarily linked if asking questions outside my trained field of study.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Homestar1 said:
being brought into learning about QM based on a discovery currently in review
Please be advised that Physics Forums is not for discussion of unpublished research.

Also, if you are engaged in research that involves QM, have you consulted any QM experts at whatever school you got your PhD at?

Homestar1 said:
Any spinning item, proton, electron, even planet, has angular momentum that creates force. How can an electron exist in a random orbital cloud around a spinning proton if it has an angular momentum and requires force to alter from any circular orbital plane (like a planet orbiting a star)?
Some points to note:

Newton's law do not apply to the atom and the electron orbital in particular. Instead we have the Schrodinger equation.

Classical electrodynamics is to some extent compatible with the atom, in that we have a Coulomb potential in the Schrodinger equation.

However, this semi-classical QM with the Schrodinger equation and Coulomb potential cannot fully explain the atom and its absorption and emission spectrum. To do that requires the quantization of the electromagnetic field.

You cannot really begin to understand QM from the perspective of classical physics, forces and Newton's laws of motion.

I'm reaching out for QM collaborators now and hope to find some shortly. Already have a PhD in mathematics that is agreeing to work with me. This new collaborator commented that the way I'm wording things people may interpret a classical physics perspective, as you did. He's helping me with wording and language to meaningfully explain myself. Started on De Broglie this weekend. I'm working my way through textbooks now, just ordered Faraday's work earlier today. Will add Schrodinger and Coulomb. Thx!

1. What is electron angular momentum?

Electron angular momentum, also known as orbital angular momentum, is a property of an electron that describes its rotational motion around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is dependent on the electron's position and momentum.

2. How is electron angular momentum related to the gyroscope?

In a gyroscope, the spinning motion of the rotor creates angular momentum. This is similar to how an electron's orbital motion creates angular momentum. The gyroscope uses this principle to maintain its orientation and resist changes in its rotational axis.

3. Can electron angular momentum be changed?

Yes, electron angular momentum can be changed by external forces such as electromagnetic fields. This is the basis of many technologies, including MRI machines and particle accelerators.

4. How is electron angular momentum quantized?

According to quantum mechanics, electron angular momentum is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the wave-like nature of electrons and is described by the principle of quantum numbers.

5. What is the significance of electron angular momentum in chemistry?

Electron angular momentum plays a crucial role in understanding the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. It determines the energy levels and orbitals of electrons, which in turn affect the chemical and physical properties of substances.