Electron capture, electrons binding energy

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations involving electron capture and the Q-value for the reaction. The value of Q is found to be 1.429 MeV, but the value for the electron's binding energy (B_n) is not known. The suggestion is made to consult a table of binding energies for electrons in different elements, and it is confirmed that this is the correct approach.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Hello! I am doing some calculations with electron capture for the reaction
[tex] \stackrel{196}{79}Au\stackrel{EC}{\rightarrow}\stackrel{196}{78}Pt[/tex]
The Q-value for the reaction is
[tex] Q=[m(\stackrel{196}{79}Au-\stackrel{196}{78}Pt]c^2-B_{n}[/tex] where [tex] B_{n}[/tex] stands for electron's binding energy.
We calculated this value and got
[tex] Q=1.429 MeV[/tex] but I do not know how to find the value of [tex] B_{n}[/tex] the teacher just wrote value for [tex] B_{n}=0.08MeV[/tex]
Can someone please explain to get this value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say it's the binding energy of the atomic electron. Usually you can find this tabulated somewhere. I don't know what you can use as aid but normally you can consult a table of listed binding energies for electrons in different shells in different elements. If this is a course in nuclear physics I don't think you're expected to calculate it anyway. What you have to do is probably to do some assumptions about where the electron comes from, and then perhaps use more than one value for the binding energy (depending on which atomic shell the electron comes from).

yes you are right! I found the value in the tables. Thank you!

1. What is electron capture?

Electron capture is a type of nuclear reaction in which an atom absorbs an inner-shell electron, resulting in a decrease in atomic number and the emission of a neutrino.

2. What is the significance of electrons' binding energy in electron capture?

The binding energy of an electron is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom. In electron capture, the binding energy of the captured electron is released in the form of an X-ray or gamma ray photon.

3. How does electron capture affect the stability of an atom?

Electron capture can result in the formation of a more stable isotope of an element, as it reduces the number of protons in the nucleus and therefore the repulsion between them. This can also affect the atom's chemical properties.

4. Can electron capture occur in all atoms?

Electron capture can only occur in atoms with a low atomic number, typically less than 20. This is because higher atomic numbers have a more stable electron configuration and are less likely to undergo electron capture.

5. How is electron capture used in practical applications?

Electron capture is used in various fields, such as nuclear physics and chemistry, to study the properties of atoms and nuclei. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), which relies on the detection of gamma rays emitted from electron capture processes.