Electron Charge Calculation

In summary, the electrostatic force between the two water droplets is 625 newtons. There are 624.2 electrons on each drop, resulting in a charge imbalance of 0.96%.
ChiralWaltz

Homework Statement

Two tiny, spherical water drops, with identical charges of -1.00 x 1016 C, have a center-to-center separation of 1.00 cm.(a) What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force acting between them? (b) How many excess electrons are on each drop, giving it its charge imbalance?

Homework Equations

My question relates to part B, the excess electrons

## q=ne ##

e=1.602 x 10-19 C (elementary charge value from textbook)

In this case e is negative because it is the charge on an electron.

The Attempt at a Solution

## n = \frac{q}{ -e}##

##n = \frac{-1.00\times 10^{-16} C}{-1.602\times 10^{-19} C}##

n = 624.2 electrons ∴ there are fractional number of electrons but we can only have integers for our n values.

Plugging in e = 1.60 x 10-19, we get 625 electrons. This is the answer listed in the book.

My questions is when do we use the 1.602 x 10-19 value and when do we use the 1.60 x 10-19? Is this just something the author was not paying attention to when he wrote the book and made up the numbers?

I know it may be a trivial question but this is driving me nuts. Thanks for helping out.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralWaltz said:

Homework Statement

Two tiny, spherical water drops, with identical charges of -1.00 x 1016 C, have a center-to-center separation of 1.00 cm.(a) What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force acting between them? (b) How many excess electrons are on each drop, giving it its charge imbalance?

Homework Equations

My question relates to part B, the excess electrons

## q=ne ##

e=1.602 x 10-19 C (elementary charge value from textbook)

In this case e is negative because it is the charge on an electron.

The Attempt at a Solution

## n = \frac{q}{ -e}##

##n = \frac{-1.00\times 10^{-16} C}{-1.602\times 10^{-19} C}##

n = 624.2 electrons ∴ there are fractional number of electrons but we can only have integers for our n values.

Plugging in e = 1.60 x 10-19, we get 625 electrons. This is the answer listed in the book.

My questions is when do we use the 1.602 x 10-19 value and when do we use the 1.60 x 10-19? Is this just something the author was not paying attention to when he wrote the book and made up the numbers?

I know it may be a trivial question but this is driving me nuts. Thanks for helping out.

The question provides data accurate to 2 decimal places, i.e 'identical charges of -1.00 x 1016 C'.

It is therefore reasonable to use the 1.60x10-19 figure since you can't really determine an answer to a greater accuracy than what was given to you.

This is a general rule of thumb

Thanks you BOAS.

So any time there is a constant in the calculation, we use the amount of significant figures from the given data to determine how many sig figs we can use from the constant.

I'm so happy it was as simple issue as sig figs.

What is the concept of "Electrons per Charge"?

The concept of "Electrons per Charge" refers to the number of electrons that are present in an object or substance per unit of electric charge. This is denoted by the symbol q and can be calculated by multiplying the number of electrons (n) by the elementary charge (e).

How is the number of electrons per charge calculated?

The number of electrons per charge, or q, can be calculated by multiplying the number of electrons (n) by the elementary charge (e). This is represented by the formula q=ne, where q is the total charge, n is the number of electrons, and e is the elementary charge (1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs).

What is the significance of "Electrons per Charge" in electricity?

The concept of "Electrons per Charge" is significant in electricity because it helps to explain how electric charge flows through a circuit. The number of electrons per charge determines the strength of the electric current, with a higher number of electrons resulting in a stronger current.

How does the number of electrons per charge affect the properties of a substance?

The number of electrons per charge can affect the properties of a substance in various ways. For example, it can impact the conductivity of a material, with substances that have a higher number of electrons per charge being better conductors of electricity. It can also affect the chemical and physical properties of a substance, as the arrangement of electrons plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of atoms and molecules.

Can the number of electrons per charge change?

Yes, the number of electrons per charge can change in certain circumstances. For example, when an atom gains or loses electrons, the number of electrons per charge will change. Additionally, in a circuit, the number of electrons per charge can vary depending on the strength of the electric current and the amount of charge that is flowing through the circuit.