How Do You Derive Electron Energy in Physics Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation and asks for help in understanding the steps. It also clarifies the meaning of certain symbols and questions the source of a specific value. The conversation ends with a hint for solving the problem.
Woopa
Homework Statement
Derive the equation
Relevant Equations
E=P^2/2m
1653491605110.jpg

I am having trouble understanding this derivation and need some guidance.

1) I tried solving the algebra from the first equation to the second equation circled in red. Can someone please help with what algebra steps, I cannot solve to the circled solution.

2) What does Ee stand for? Is it Total energy of the electron?

3) Where did the value 5.49x10-4 come from? This does not appear to be the mass of the electron.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Please show us your attempt.

2) Kinetic energy of the electron

3) it is the electron mass’ numerical value in the atomic mass unit u (which also the proton mass is given in). Units are important.

Woopa said:
Homework Statement:: Derive the equation
Relevant Equations:: E=P^2/2m

1) I tried solving the algebra from the first equation to the second equation circled in red. Can someone please help with what algebra steps, I cannot solve to the circled solution.
What did you try? Hint: $$\frac{A}{B} + \frac{A}{C} = A(\frac{1}{B} + \frac{1}{C})$$

Hint: Find a common denominator to express that sum of fractions as a single fraction.

... or, just multiply by ##BC##.

Likes Doc Al

1. What is electron energy derivation?

Electron energy derivation is the process of calculating the energy of an electron in a given system or environment. This is based on the electron's position, velocity, and interactions with other particles or fields.

2. How is electron energy derived?

Electron energy can be derived using various equations and principles from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation or the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It can also be calculated using experimental data and measurements.

3. What factors affect electron energy?

The energy of an electron can be affected by its position, velocity, and interactions with other particles or fields. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, electric and magnetic fields, and the electron's surrounding environment can also impact its energy.

4. Why is electron energy derivation important?

Electron energy derivation is important in understanding the behavior and properties of electrons, which are fundamental particles in many physical and chemical processes. It also plays a crucial role in various technologies, such as electronics, semiconductors, and energy production.

5. What are some applications of electron energy derivation?

Electron energy derivation has numerous applications in various fields, including material science, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as solar cells, LEDs, and transistors.