Electron-impact ionization cross section

In summary, electron-impact ionization cross section is a measure of the probability of an incident electron colliding with an atom or molecule and causing it to lose one or more electrons. It is typically measured through experiments and is influenced by factors such as the energy of the electron and the target atom or molecule. This measurement is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments, and it differs from other ionization processes in its method and outcomes.
Jaka
I'm calculating an ionization cross section in partially ionized plasma, with taking into account of correlation effects. I'm trying to do it with help of variation phase method.

Please, help me to find some link to useful articles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Help me please.

Where I can get any information about phase variation method for ionization?

As a fellow scientist, I would be happy to provide some assistance in finding articles related to your research on electron-impact ionization cross section in partially ionized plasma. The variation phase method is a powerful tool for studying correlation effects in ionization processes, and I commend you for utilizing it in your calculations.

I suggest starting your search by looking at articles published in reputable scientific journals such as Physical Review Letters, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, and Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion. These journals often have articles related to ionization processes in plasma and the use of variation phase method.

Additionally, you can also search for articles on online databases such as Google Scholar, ScienceDirect, and IEEE Xplore. These databases have a vast collection of scientific articles and allow you to narrow down your search by keywords and filters.

I also recommend reaching out to colleagues or experts in the field of plasma physics and ionization processes. They may have valuable insights or suggestions for articles or resources that can aid in your research.

I hope these suggestions will be helpful in your search for articles on electron-impact ionization cross section in partially ionized plasma. Best of luck in your research!

Related to Electron-impact ionization cross section

1. What is electron-impact ionization cross section?

Electron-impact ionization cross section is a measure of the probability of an incident electron colliding with an atom or molecule and causing it to lose one or more electrons, resulting in ionization.

2. How is electron-impact ionization cross section measured?

Electron-impact ionization cross section is typically measured through experiments in which the cross section is determined by comparing the number of atoms or molecules ionized by an electron beam with the total number of collisions that occur.

3. What factors influence electron-impact ionization cross section?

The cross section is influenced by a variety of factors such as the energy of the incident electron, the target atom or molecule, and the angle of collision.

4. Why is electron-impact ionization cross section important?

Electron-impact ionization cross section is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments, such as in plasma or in the Earth's upper atmosphere. It is also used in fields such as astrophysics, where it helps to explain phenomena in outer space.

5. How does electron-impact ionization cross section differ from other ionization processes?

Electron-impact ionization cross section differs from other ionization processes, such as photoionization or collisional ionization, in that it involves an electron colliding with the atom or molecule rather than being absorbed by it. It also typically results in multiple ionization events, where more than one electron is ejected from the target.