Electron in an infinite well

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the energy of a photon emitted when an electron jumps from the n=4 state to the ground state in an infinite one-dimensional well of width 0.251nm. The method used is to first find the value of k for the wave function by setting it to n\pi, and then using the energy equation for a free particle to calculate the energy difference. The resulting expression is E=\frac{h^2 n^2}{8mL^2}. This method is confirmed to be correct and the values of m and L can be plugged in afterwards.
mateomy
An electron is trapped in an infinite one-dimensional well of width 0.251nm. Initially the electron occupies the n=4 state. Suppose the electron jumps to the ground state with the accompanying emission of a photon. What is the energy of the photon?

(Time independent)

What I did was realize that [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] must equal zero at the walls, so I chose [itex]\sin(kL)[/itex] and set it to [itex]n\pi[/itex], then solved for k.

Putting this value of k into the energy for a free particle (Time-ind Schrodinger), I eventually come to the expression:
[tex]
\frac{h^2 n^2}{8mL^2}
[/tex]

To find the corresponding energy of the emitted photon I plugged in the appropriate values of n and solved for the difference.

Does that seem right?

Answer:
[tex]
E=\frac{h^2 15}{8m L^2}
[/tex]

Obviously plugging in appropriate values of m and L afterward.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the corresponding energy of the emitted photon I plugged in the appropriate values of n and solved for the difference.

Does that seem right?
That is certainly the method.
If this is long answer you want to write it explicitly in the math though.

Yeah, I have it officially written out showing steps and whatnot. Just felt lazy with the LaTex so I shortened it. Thanks.

1. What is an electron in an infinite well?

An electron in an infinite well is a simplified theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of an electron confined to a one-dimensional space.

2. What is the significance of the infinite well potential in this model?

The infinite well potential represents an idealized scenario where the electron is confined to a specific region and cannot escape. This allows us to study the quantum mechanical properties of the electron without the influence of external factors.

3. How does the energy of the electron in an infinite well relate to its position?

In an infinite well, the energy of the electron is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values. These energy levels are determined by the position of the electron within the well, with higher energy levels corresponding to higher positions.

4. How does the wave function of the electron in an infinite well change with time?

The wave function of the electron in an infinite well evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. The wave function oscillates between positive and negative values, representing the probability of finding the electron at different positions within the well.

5. What are the applications of studying an electron in an infinite well?

The infinite well model has applications in understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices, as well as in other areas of quantum mechanics such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.