Electron-positron creation from colliding photons

In summary: Try to use 4-vectors, as it will save you a lot of time and effort. In summary, the conversation discusses the collision of two photons with energies ε1 = 2MeV and ε2 = 3MeV, resulting in the production of a positron-electron pair. The final energies and velocities of the positron and electron are asked for, and it is suggested to use a frame of reference where the two photons have the same energy. The conversation also mentions relevant equations and the use of 4-vectors to solve the problem.
chem_heather

Homework Statement

Consider two photons, one with energy ε1 = 2MeV traveling to the right, and the other with energy ε2 = 3MeV moving tot he left. The two photons collide head-on and produce a positron-electron pair. Suppose the the electron and positron move along the same axis as the photons.

What are the final energies (Ee- and Ee+) and velocities (ve- and ve+) of the positron and the electron?

(Hint: it is easier to do this problem by first switching to a frame of reference where the two photons have the same energy (and thus same momentum); in this frame, after the collision the center of mass is at rest.)

Homework Equations

ε1 = 2 MeV
ε2 = 3 MeV
me = 0.511 MeV/c2
p = ϒmv
E = ϒmc2 = mc2 + EK = mc2 + mc2(ϒ-1)
E = √[(pc)2 + (mc2)2]
ϒ = 1/√1-(v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up four frames of reference (FORs):
E: lab frame, before collision
E' : lab frame, after collision
Ecp: Center-of -mass frame before collision
E'cp: Center-of -mass frame after collision

E = c(p1 + p2) = 5MeV
E'cp = 2mec2
E' = 2mec2 + EK

I know that the norms of the energies will be equal from one FOR to another, so:
E2 = (E'cp)2
(E'cp)2 = 25 MeV2

And this is where I'm stuck. We've covered four-vectors, and I think I might be getting confused on whether or not I use them here, and if so, how to set up the components for the photons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is confusing. If E are energies, they cannot be frames. Also, squaring the energy does not give anything invariant. You'll need the 4-vectors of the particles involved.

That's where I'm getting confused. Would the 4-vector for the lab frame before the collision be P = (0,c(p1 + p2),0,0)? I used 0 in the A0 spot because the photons don't have any rest-mass. And for the center-of-mass frame after the collision be P'cp = (2mec2,0,0,0)? When I use these, P2 = 25 MeV2.

Is there a way to do this without using 4-vectors?

Hmm, I just found this on another thread:
"Since m=0, combining those two gives the four-momentum of a photon as:
(|p|,p)
or equivalently for a photon traveling in the x direction:
(E/c,E/c,0,0)"

So, if that's the case, the 4-vector for the lab-frame before the collision would be
P = (c(p1 + p2),c(p1 + p2),0,0), correct? Or do the momentums need to be subtracted since they're going in opposite directions?​

chem_heather said:
That's where I'm getting confused. Would the 4-vector for the lab frame before the collision be P = (0,c(p1 + p2),0,0)? I used 0 in the A0 spot because the photons don't have any rest-mass. And for the center-of-mass frame after the collision be P'cp = (2mec2,0,0,0)? When I use these, P2 = 25 MeV2.
No, and guessing does not help.
chem_heather said:
Or do the momentums need to be subtracted since they're going in opposite directions?
They have to be added, but one photon needs a negative momentum as it is going in the opposite direction (-x direction).
Is there a way to do this without using 4-vectors?
There is, but that needs significantly more work.

What is electron-positron creation from colliding photons?

Electron-positron creation from colliding photons is a process in which two high-energy photons collide and produce an electron and a positron, the antimatter counterpart of an electron. This process can occur in high-energy particle collisions, such as in particle accelerators, or in natural phenomena like gamma ray bursts.

What is the significance of electron-positron creation from colliding photons?

The creation of electron-positron pairs from colliding photons provides evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations in the vacuum. These fluctuations can give rise to particle-antiparticle pairs, which can then be detected and studied by scientists.

How is electron-positron creation from colliding photons related to the study of the early universe?

In the early universe, the energy density was high enough for photons to frequently collide and produce electron-positron pairs. As the universe expanded and cooled, the energy density decreased, and the production of electron-positron pairs became less common. Studying the process of electron-positron creation from colliding photons can provide insights into the early stages of the universe.

What is the role of conservation laws in electron-positron creation from colliding photons?

Conservation laws, such as conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, play a crucial role in understanding the process of electron-positron creation from colliding photons. These laws dictate that the total energy and momentum before and after the collision must be equal, and thus can help determine the properties of the created particles.

Can electron-positron creation from colliding photons be observed in experiments?

Yes, electron-positron creation from colliding photons has been observed in experiments, such as at the Large Electron-Positron Collider (LEP) and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). These experiments have provided valuable data and insights into the process, helping scientists to better understand the fundamental forces and particles of the universe.