Electron Spin Problem: Exploring the Stern-Gerlach Experiment

In summary: It has an angular momentum because it is an elementary spin-1/2 Dirac fermion. In summary, there are many misconceptions and misunderstandings that arise when trying to apply classical concepts to quantum particles like the electron. It is important to understand the existing experiments and theories, such as quantum electrodynamics, before trying to come up with new ideas. The electron is not a point particle in the classical sense and has inherent spin and momentum, which can be described by quantum theory.
Sheldon Cooper
Hello,
I've been reading the Stern-Gerlach experiment, and where the concept of electron spin is introduced, am facing a problem, i.e., if you consider electron a charged rotating sphere, then the electromagnetic energy and size of the electron becomes huge! So how do you deal with this?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheldon Cooper said:
So how do you deal with this?

By not considering the electron as a (classically) charged rotating sphere.

Likes Nugatory, vanhees71 and blue_leaf77
I'm pondering the implications of the inherent spin of an electron as not having any classical comparison. The spin is 1/2 yet we have no evidence that an electron is more than a point particle. I have no idea how it is a point particle while it has mass. Yet consider the neutrino which only recently was found to have mass.

I'm working on a mechanism for electron - photon interaction that I'm hoping will describe an electron's "motion" despite having no evidence that they move through space at all. What is the linear momentum if not p=mv proportional to the velocity? Then how may it have angular momentum if there's no volume which may spin?

Quantum mechanics gives a good description and does not have all those issues a classical description would have.
cree_be_mee said:
I'm working on a mechanism for electron - photon interaction
That is the wrong approach. Learn about the existing experiments and theories first. To think outside the box you have to know where the box is first.

cree_be_mee said:
'm working on a mechanism for electron - photon interaction that I'm hoping will describe an electron's "motion" despite having no evidence that they move through space at all.

That mechanism is already well understood - google for "Quantum Electrodynamics".
It's very hard to discover something new if you don't know what's already been discovered.

cree_be_mee said:
The spin is 1/2 yet we have no evidence that an electron is more than a point particle. ...

I'm working on a mechanism for electron - photon interaction that I'm hoping will describe an electron's "motion" despite having no evidence that they move through space at all. What is the linear momentum if not p=mv proportional to the velocity? Then how may it have angular momentum if there's no volume which may spin?

As already mentioned, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. As to the idea that an electron is "only" a point particle: there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Any electron interference experiment is such evidence (that its position is smeared out across a substantial volume of space). The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle describes this phenomena.

cree_be_mee said:
I'm pondering the implications of the inherent spin of an electron as not having any classical comparison. The spin is 1/2 yet we have no evidence that an electron is more than a point particle. I have no idea how it is a point particle while it has mass. Yet consider the neutrino which only recently was found to have mass.

All evidence of electron tells us that it is not a point particle in the classical sense. That's why we describe it with quantum theory (in the most general sense in terms of relativistic quantum field theory within the Standard Model of elementary particles). As far as we know, it is an elementary spin-1/2 Dirac fermion with a mass of around ##0.511 \; \mathrm{MeV}##. That's all you can say precisely about what an electron is, and this is a lot!

The only "mechanism" of electron-photon interaction is, as is implied by the very use of these words, quantum electrodynamics. An (asymptotic) free electron has a momentum ##\vec{p}=m \vec{v}/\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2/c^2}##. Only in the non-relativistic limit, i.e., for ##|\vec{v}| \ll c##, it's ##\vec{p} \simeq m \vec{v}##.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a landmark experiment in quantum mechanics that was first conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It demonstrated the existence of electron spin and provided evidence for the quantization of angular momentum in quantum systems.

2. What is the electron spin problem?

The electron spin problem refers to the phenomenon observed in the Stern-Gerlach experiment, where the beam of silver atoms was split into two distinct streams, instead of a continuous spread of particles as predicted by classical physics. This posed a problem for scientists as it contradicted classical theories and required a new understanding of the behavior of electrons.

3. How did the Stern-Gerlach experiment solve the electron spin problem?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment provided evidence for the existence of electron spin, which is a quantum mechanical property that explains the behavior of electrons in an atomic or molecular system. This discovery helped to bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics and provided a better understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is considered a key experiment in the development of quantum mechanics. It provided experimental evidence for the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of electron spin, which are fundamental concepts in modern physics. The experiment also helped to pave the way for further research and advancements in the field of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment relate to modern technologies?

The principles and concepts demonstrated in the Stern-Gerlach experiment have been applied in various modern technologies, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, electron microscopes, and quantum computers. The understanding of electron spin and the quantization of angular momentum has also played a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies in fields such as electronics and information technology.