Electron Transitions and Spectral Lines Conceptual Question

In summary, the figure shows three distinct spectral series with the center series corresponding to transitions to a final state of n_f = 3. The indicated spectral line corresponds to the transition from an initial state of n_i = 5 to the final state of n_f = 3. The three parts of the question correspond to transitions from different initial states to different final states, with the corresponding spectral lines belonging to the Paschen, Balmer, and Lyman series respectively.
Robbi

Homework Statement

The spectrum of a hypothetical atom is shown in the figure. Three distinct spectral series are shown, with the center series corresponding to transitions to a final state of n_f = 3. (f is final)
The indicated spectral line corresponds to the transition from an initial state of n_i = 5 to the final state n_f = 3
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1012506/12/1012506.jpg"

A) Which of the lettered spectral lines corresponds to the transition from n_i = 6 to n_f = 3?

B) Which of the lettered spectral lines corresponds to the transition from n_i = 5 to n_f = 4?

C) Which of the lettered spectral lines corresponds to the transition from n_i = 5 to n_f = 2?

Homework Equations

Balmer, Lyman, Paschen, Brackett & Pfund series, but as far as I know they work for hydrogen atoms exclusively. I don't think I need any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that with increased wavelength, frequency and energy decrease. Lowest n's respond to highest wavelengths, thus lowest energy. In parts A, B & C I'm always going from a high energy state to a lower one? I don't understand the question, I don't understand how these three spectral series are split up and I don't understand how n_i and n_f are associated to the picture. So if someone could clarify this would be more then epic. (I don't just want the answers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! A:You are correct in that you do not need equations for this problem. The three distinct spectra in the figure correspond to Balmer (n=2 to infinity), Lyman (n=1 to infinity), and Paschen (n=3 to infinity) series. These series correspond to transitions from the higher energy state, n, down to the lower energy state n=2,1,3 respectively. Part A: The transition is from n=6 to n=3, so the corresponding line would be from the Paschen series since n=3 is the lower final state.Part B: The transition is from n=5 to n=4, so the corresponding line would be from the Balmer series since n=2 is the lower final state. Part C: The transition is from n=5 to n=2, so the corresponding line would be from the Lyman series since n=1 is the lower final state.

1. What is an electron transition?

An electron transition is when an electron moves from one energy level to another within an atom. This can happen when an electron absorbs or emits energy, causing it to move to a higher or lower energy state.

2. What are spectral lines?

Spectral lines are specific wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by an atom during an electron transition. They appear as colored lines on a spectrum and can be used to identify the elements present in a substance.

3. How are electron transitions related to spectral lines?

Electron transitions are directly related to spectral lines because each energy level in an atom is associated with a specific wavelength of light. When an electron transitions between energy levels, it emits or absorbs a photon of light with a specific wavelength, which corresponds to a specific spectral line.

4. What causes spectral lines to have different colors?

The colors of spectral lines are determined by the specific energy levels of the electrons in an atom. Each element has a unique set of energy levels, and therefore, unique spectral lines. The colors of the lines correspond to the specific wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed during electron transitions.

5. How do electron transitions and spectral lines contribute to our understanding of atoms?

Electron transitions and spectral lines are crucial in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms. They provide evidence for the existence of energy levels within atoms and help us identify and distinguish between different elements. They also allow us to study the properties of atoms and their behavior under various conditions, leading to a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter.