Electronic Engineering vs Chemical Engineering

In summary, it is possible to remain jobless even if you graduate with a good GPA if the job market does not exist for the specific field of study you have chosen. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career in chemical engineering, it is a good choice because it is in a huge demand.

Which field is better, Electronic Engineering or Chemical Engineering?

• Total voters
EhtYlno
Right now I have a choice between these two disciplines, Chemical or Electronic engineering. Which one would remain suitable for me?
My friends advice me to get into Chemical Engineering since they say its in a huge demand right now, however I am more inclined towards Electronic Engineering, and they say its not in demand and many graduates of EE are jobless (according to them).
Keep in mind that I would like to work in designing graphics cards and computer chips (and similar things) since that's what resonates with me the most.

Is it possible to remain jobless upon graduating with a good GPA (such as 3.5+)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If EE is where your interests lie, why would you consider chemical engineering? Just to get a job? Are you interested in chemical engineering? Getting up every morning to go to a job you only tolerate or dislike is a situation you really want to avoid.

You need to keep things in perspective. Sure, majoring in chemical engineering might land you a job straight out of college more easily than if you were to major in electronic engineering if what your friends say is true, but is it something you want to stick with for 10, 20, or 40 years? Would you be satisfied with a career in chemical engineering?

Yes, it's possible to remain jobless even if you graduate with a good GPA. If the jobs aren't there, they aren't there. So the question you need to find the answer to is: will the job I want be there when I graduate?

vela said:
If EE is where your interests lie, why would you consider chemical engineering? Just to get a job? Are you interested in chemical engineering? Getting up every morning to go to a job you only tolerate or dislike is a situation you really want to avoid.

You need to keep things in perspective. Sure, majoring in chemical engineering might land you a job straight out of college more easily than if you were to major in electronic engineering if what your friends say is true, but is it something you want to stick with for 10, 20, or 40 years? Would you be satisfied with a career in chemical engineering?

Yes, it's possible to remain jobless even if you graduate with a good GPA. If the jobs aren't there, they aren't there. So the question you need to find the answer to is: will the job I want be there when I graduate?

You see I'm very tense right now. I've selected EE and am real worried if I made the wrong choice. But upon consultation with friends and family I think i'll stick with it.
EE is just more diverse. Maybe I can get in a few CHEM E courses too. HMMM...

Do keep in mind that it is the industry sector producing demand, not the major. For example, getting a EE degree and pursuing a job with process controls will nearly guarantee a job. Or PLC logic (custom made control boards) for industrial plants.

Now, if you eliminated such industries as oil and gas, chemical, power, etc.. completely due to dislike...you may see that unemployment statistic to be true

Likes EhtYlno

I cannot make the decision for you on which discipline would be more suitable for you. Both Chemical Engineering and Electronic Engineering are valuable and in-demand fields that offer exciting career opportunities. It ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and goals.

However, I would like to address your concerns about job prospects in Electronic Engineering. While it is true that the job market for Electronic Engineering may be more competitive, it does not necessarily mean that graduates with a good GPA will remain jobless. In fact, with the increasing demand for technology and advancements in the electronics industry, there is a growing need for skilled and knowledgeable Electronic Engineers.

Furthermore, your passion for designing graphics cards and computer chips is a valuable asset in the field of Electronic Engineering. You may also consider specializing in areas such as microelectronics or semiconductor technology to further enhance your skills and marketability.

In the end, it is important to choose a discipline that aligns with your interests and strengths, as this will ultimately lead to a fulfilling and successful career. I encourage you to do further research and speak with professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the job market and opportunities available. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between electronic engineering and chemical engineering?

Electronic engineering focuses on the design, development, and testing of electronic devices and systems, while chemical engineering involves the application of chemistry and physics to the production of various chemicals, fuels, and materials.

2. Which engineering field has better job prospects?

Both electronic engineering and chemical engineering have strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the current job market and the individual's skills and experience. Both fields are in high demand and offer a variety of career opportunities.

3. What skills are required for electronic engineering and chemical engineering?

Electronic engineering requires strong knowledge of mathematics, physics, and computer science, as well as problem-solving and analytical skills. Chemical engineering requires a strong understanding of chemistry and physics, as well as analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills.

4. Can an electronic engineer work in the chemical engineering industry, and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in certain industries, it is not common for an electronic engineer to work in the chemical engineering industry and vice versa. The two fields have different focuses and require specific skills and knowledge.

5. Which engineering field has a higher salary?

The salary for both electronic engineering and chemical engineering can vary depending on job role, location, and experience. However, in general, electronic engineers tend to have a higher salary due to the high demand for their skills in industries such as technology and telecommunications.