Seeking some advice (and maybe encouragement) going into a PhD program in Engineering

Zeze
I am an international student attending very small college in US, currently senior. My dream since I was little was to study in engineering field. Unfortunately, because of financial difficulties (being an international student limited scholarship opportunities), my only choice for undergrad was a small college that didn’t have engineering major.

However, I didn’t want to give up pursuing engineering degree. I majored in Mathematics, minored in Physics and Computer Science, hoping to go for grad school (PhD program) for electrical engineering. I am extremely passionate when it comes to learning. I have never complained about having to study or do homework, even if I had to spend nights awake, because it was my joy. I love the feeling of learning something and challenging myself with problems. I spent all my college life trying to excel in everything I do. I tried my hardest even in a restricted environment. I am in a sports team getting a full ride, taking 5–6 classes every semester goint to practices and tournaments, working part-time job, and I still have a GPA of 4.0. In average, I spend at least 14 hours everyday for my school responsibilities (Classes, study, work, and sports). I lived everyday like I had no tomorrow, and I am so confident that I couldn’t have done more than I did. I did get stressed and burnt out and sometimes I wanted to stop or even give up. But I couldn’t stop myself because I had a dream. I really really wanted the opportunity to learn what I wanted to learn.

And now, I am at a state where I should start applying to PhD programs. At this point of my life, where I worked so hard for an oppotunity that I’ve been dreaming for years, I really want to get in to a good university. However, I am currently so anxious and stressed about the process. I didn’t have an opportunity to gain research experience (almost every REU’s are only for US citizens and my school doesn’t have any research in engineering), I haven’t taken any electrical engineering or even engineering classes, so I don’t think I can elaborate very well about why I want to study electrical engineering or what made me want to study. The truth is, I don’t know a lot about the contents of electrical engineering. I just “knew” since I was a kid that I wanted to do engineering, and I wanted to study electrical engineering because l liked the abstract aspect of EE and the math+physics thought process of engineering. I do not have a clear idea of exactly what subfield of EE I want to research. I think I’m inclined to control systems, signal processing, or wireless communication, but my knowledge in the field is too shallow to express my interest in the level they will expect. I know that schools are looking for students with clear idea of why and what they want to research and show the proof that they are capable with the achievements they had in the past. I am very anxious that I got nothing to show them despite my hardwork. I am a fast learner and I have no problem in putting effort into things that I am passionate about. So I don’t worry much about catching up and taking extra classes that I lack.

I am desperate. I am so worried that I might not get into schools that I am aiming for. What can be the best strategy for a student like me to get into well-known grad schools? Sorry for the long post.. I didn’t have anyone to talk to, and need some advice.

Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
Zeze said:
I majored in Mathematics, minored in Physics and Computer Science, hoping to go for grad school (PhD program) for electrical engineering.
Why did you choose to major in math, rather than physics?

Which physics courses have you taken, beyond the introductory courses?
Zeze said:
I really want to get in to a good university.
What would you consider to be a "good university"?

I taught physics for many years (now retired) at a small private college in the southeast US. Many of our majors went on to grad school in engineering (master's level, maybe a few PhD's) at universities in this region (e.g. Clemson). I don't remember any math (only) majors going on to grad school in engineering. There may have been a few (it's been several years since I retired), but we would have seen them in some of our physics classes above the introductory level. As far as I remember, most of our math majors went on to grad school in math (usually applied math), or into high-school teaching.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21
If you want to be an engineer, why do you think you need a PhD in engineering?

Most graduate programs' applications require writing a statement of purpose. You need to ensure that yours does not project an air of ingratitude for the opportunities you have already been given.

jtbell said:
Why did you choose to major in math, rather than physics?

Which physics courses have you taken, beyond the introductory courses?

What would you consider to be a "good university"?

I taught physics for many years (now retired) at a small private college in the southeast US. Many of our majors went on to grad school in engineering (master's level, maybe a few PhD's) at universities in this region (e.g. Clemson). I don't remember any math (only) majors going on to grad school in engineering. There may have been a few (it's been several years since I retired), but we would have seen them in some of our physics classes above the introductory level. As far as I remember, most of our math majors went on to grad school in math (usually applied math), or into high-school teaching.
I majored in math because our school doesn't have physics major, just minor.
The physics courses I took are Gen phys 1~3, Thermodyanamics, and Quantum Physics.
By "good universtiy", I mean a regular institute where I can do research and have a lot of opportunities inside and outside classes. Just bigger in scale than where I was

Vanadium 50 said:

Most graduate programs' applications require writing a statement of purpose. You need to ensure that yours does not project an air of ingratitude for the opportunities you have already been given.
That is a really good point. I did get generous opportunities that I am very grateful for. Thanks for the advice.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
I do want to be an engineer, but right now I'm more dragged into researching and learning.

OP:

* The problem is you should have posted for advice two years ago. It's too late for you to have a strong (even a reasonable) application this current cycle (late 2023/early 2024).

* Also, since you really don't appear to know what engineering is all about, applying for a PhD program in engineering is not a wise move. You can have a decent career in engineering with a master's. For certain jobs, yes, a PhD would be needed. But you really don't know what you want right now.

* Since you're an international student studying at a US college, I assume you're here on a F-1 visa. Is that correct? If so, you should consider applying for a job under the Optional Practical Training (OPT) provision of the F-1 visa. This will allow international students to stay in the US and work for 12 months (24 months for designated STEM students), without having to jump through all the hurdles of a H1-B visa. [ETA1: Re-reading the latest rules, it's not clear to me whether STEM students get a total of 24 months OPT or a 24 month extension of an initial 12 month OPT for a total of 36 months. OP: Check with your school. ETA2: Here's a link that indicates that the STEM OPT is a 24 month extension of an initial 12 month OPT (36 month total). That buys you even more time: https://internationaloffice.berkeley.edu/students/employment/stemopt. Employers must meet certain qualifications to offer the program. So, again, check with your school.] See:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-th...onal-practical-training-opt-for-f-1-students; and

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-th...training-extension-for-stem-students-stem-opt

* Double check criteria and procedures with your school administration office. Your math major should qualify you for the 24 month extension. Try to get a job with a large tech company. It will probably be as a research assistant/technician. And you probably won't be overly thrilled with the work. But:

(a) You will be earning income;

(b) You can defer your applications until the next cycle (late 2024/early 2025); though this still likely won't give you enough time to sort through all this;

(c) You will get direct experience to determine what longer-term career you really want;

(d) If you prove yourself on the job, and decide going to grad school is not the right move at this time in your life, your employer will likely sponsor you for an H1-B visa for longer-term employment. Look for employers that support further education (such as a master's program).

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, Vanadium 50 and berkeman

What is the purpose of a PhD program in Engineering?

A PhD program in Engineering is designed to provide students with advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of engineering. It is a research-based degree that requires students to conduct original research and make significant contributions to their field of study. The ultimate goal of a PhD program is to produce highly skilled and knowledgeable professionals who can contribute to the advancement of engineering through research and innovation.

What are the requirements for admission to a PhD program in Engineering?

The specific requirements for admission to a PhD program in Engineering may vary depending on the institution. However, most programs require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field, a strong academic record, and relevant research experience. Additionally, applicants may need to submit letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and take standardized tests such as the GRE.

What can I expect from the coursework in a PhD program in Engineering?

The coursework in a PhD program in Engineering is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in their chosen field of study. It typically includes advanced courses in engineering principles, research methods, and specialized topics related to the student's research area. The coursework may also involve independent study and research projects, as well as seminars and presentations to develop students' communication and critical thinking skills.

What is the timeline for completing a PhD program in Engineering?

The timeline for completing a PhD program in Engineering can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. During this time, students will complete coursework, conduct research, and write and defend their dissertation. The length of the program may also depend on the student's progress and the requirements of their specific program.

What are the career opportunities for graduates of a PhD program in Engineering?

Graduates of a PhD program in Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers, work in industry as engineers or consultants, or even start their own companies. The advanced knowledge and research experience gained during a PhD program can also open up opportunities for leadership roles in various organizations and industries.