Electronic video clips that are not common knowledge, yet crucial

In summary, the conversation discussed the creator's YouTube video clips covering topics in electronics, cochlear implants, and Robert's Rules of Order, as well as upcoming videos about music. The creator also shared links to their website, which provides a distinct advantage for electronic engineering students. They also emphasized the need for industry professionals to understand capacitors and shared important examples related to ground planes, common mode chokes, tin whiskers, PCB dendrite growth, tantalum capacitors, and counterfeit components.
bhs67
How did you find PF?: Google Search

1) Have created YouTube video clips about electronics, cochlear implants, and Robert's Rules of Order => https://NDAcademy.FoxPing.com/. The electronics covers topics industry needs (zero theory). Starts at middle school grade level, ends at college level.

2) Am creating YouTube video clips about music.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. What is "zero theory"?

A good example of theory can be found at http://www.site.uottawa.ca/mathasatool/01unit/12topic/focus/voltage_current/p09.htm. These are equations that are never used in industry.

Industry needs people who understand capacitors: 1) The voltage ratings must always be twice the applied voltage (except tantalum requires three times), 2) Ceramic capacitors have higher accuracy, higher voltage tolerance, polarization independence, more tolerant to temperature changes, longer life, 3) non-ceramic capacitors have larger micro-farad specifications, 4) Ceramic capacitors have low ESR (can handle high frequencies), non-ceramic cannot.

Some good examples that are not common knowledge:

1) Ground Planes and Voltage Planes --- necessary for almost all products (especially for miniature products) - and for EMC.

2) Common Mode Chokes --- necessary for EMC in some cases.

3) Tin Whiskers --- Failure does not show up until the product has been shipped to customers - two satellites in outer space failed because of tin whiskers => https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/failures/.

4) PCB Dendrite Growth --- Product works initially, then can fail after the customer uses the product for a few months or longer - I hope it does not happen in an airplane.

5) Tantalum Capacitor voltage needs to be overrated by a factor of three --- Resulted in a fire, one time, for an IBM computer control panel - could have resulted in a lawsuit.

6) Counterfeit Components --- Product works initially, then can fail after the customer uses the product - or fails over temperature changes.

These are important in the electronics world.

• Informative
Likes yungman, Wrichik Basu and berkeman
bhs67 said:
A good example of theory can be found at http://www.site.uottawa.ca/mathasatool/01unit/12topic/focus/voltage_current/p09.htm. These are equations that are never used in industry.

Industry needs people who understand capacitors: 1) The voltage ratings must always be twice the applied voltage (except tantalum requires three times), 2) Ceramic capacitors have higher accuracy, higher voltage tolerance, polarization independence, more tolerant to temperature changes, longer life, 3) non-ceramic capacitors have larger micro-farad specifications, 4) Ceramic capacitors have low ESR (can handle high frequencies), non-ceramic cannot.

1) Ground Planes and Voltage Planes --- necessary for almost all products (especially for miniature products) - and for EMC.

3) Tin Whiskers --- Failure does not show up until the product has been shipped to customers - two satellites in outer space failed because of tin whiskers => https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/failures/.

4) PCB Dendrite Growth --- Product works initially, then can fail after the customer uses the product for a few months or longer - I hope it does not happen in an airplane.

5) Tantalum Capacitor voltage needs to be overrated by a factor of three --- Resulted in a fire, one time, for an IBM computer control panel - could have resulted in a lawsuit.

6) Counterfeit Components --- Product works initially, then can fail after the customer uses the product - or fails over temperature changes.

Thanks, very useful to know (as Electronic engineering student)

Thanks for the kind words! This website https://NDAcademy.FoxPing.com/ provides a link to the electronics video clips. They will give you a distinct advantage!

bhs67 said:

I would also put the stress of pcb layout. This has also a lot to do with #1 in your list. All the books talk about circuit theory, I never saw one talk about the importance of layout, ground plane. Student coming out from school must be thinking that return current is just a triangular symbol that magically going back to the source!

Circuit theory is easy until microwave. Even in microwave, if you really understand electromagnetics and the theory, you really can design circuit on paper do the simulation and it will work. The battle is WON or LOST on the pcb layout, the ground plane and signal integrity. I never let other people layout my pcb even though I was the manager of engineering all these years. In fact, I monitor the layout of my engineers. It all started out with component placements. A good layout make the board looks very simple. For analog boards, a good layout literally makes signal traces disappear. If you see traces running all over, it got to be pretty bad layout.

This is even more important in the pcb interconnect level( system level).

I don't know how practical to talk about this on video, it's a lot more involve. This is where EE earn their keeps.

A lot of what you mention is in the various video clips, including PCB layout. There are about 90 video clips!

thanks for the links, guys i will check them out
by the way I never imagined that the PCB was that important Awesome it will same many headaches

edit: wow lots of videos big thanks bhs67

Everything is important! In addition, a "thorough" understanding of the basics helps with the understanding of more advanced components / technology!

[Thread moved to EE from the New Member Introductions forum]

bhs67 said:
I do not see an EE forum at https://www.physicsforums.com/. Where is it?
It is where your thread is now. You can scroll to the top of the page and click up one level. Or, from the top of the PF website, scroll down to find the Engineering forums. :smile:

Ok, I found the EE forum.

Is there a way to change the title of my posts? "Retired" provides no useful info. Thanks!

You can't change it yourself, but click the REPORT button on post #1 and ask a mentor to change it for you. Tell the mentor what you want it to say.

bhs67 said:
Is there a way to change the title of my posts? "Retired" provides no useful info. Thanks!
I deleted that word out of your title. If you want further edits, just click the Report link as suggested by @anorlunda :smile:

1. What are electronic video clips?

Electronic video clips are short, digital videos that can be accessed and shared through electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and tablets. They can contain a variety of content, including educational material, entertainment, news, and advertisements.

2. How are electronic video clips different from traditional videos?

Electronic video clips are different from traditional videos in that they are specifically designed to be shared and viewed through electronic devices. They are typically shorter in length and have a faster-paced editing style to keep viewers engaged in the digital environment.

3. What makes electronic video clips crucial?

Electronic video clips can be crucial for sharing information and ideas in a fast and accessible way. They can also be used for marketing and advertising purposes, as well as for educational and instructional purposes. In today's digital age, electronic video clips are a vital medium for communication and entertainment.

4. How can electronic video clips be used in scientific research?

Electronic video clips can be used in scientific research to visually demonstrate experiments, procedures, and results. They can also be used to share data and findings with a wider audience in a more engaging and accessible format. Additionally, electronic video clips can be used in virtual conferences and presentations, making it easier for scientists to share their work with others.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to keep in mind when using electronic video clips?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when using electronic video clips. It is important to obtain consent from individuals who are featured in the video and to ensure that any sensitive or confidential information is not shared without permission. Additionally, the use of electronic video clips should adhere to ethical guidelines and principles, such as avoiding biased or misleading content.