Electrons enter charged capacitor

Xuran Wu
Homework Statement
Two electrons enter a region between charged capacitor plates with equal speed v Electron A is directed horizontally to the left while electron B is directed at 30 degrees below the horizontal. Each electron makes it to the left-hand plate. Which one of the following choices best compares the speeds of the charges(vA, vB)upon arrival at the left plate? Consider only the electrons A and B’s interactions with the constant field between the plates, ignoring any relativistic effects.
A. vA>vB
B. vA=vB
C.vA<vB
D. The answer depends on the size of the plate separation,d.
E. The answer depends on the magnitude of the charge, Q, on each plate
Relevant Equations
C=QV
image.jpg

I cannot understand. I think that the constant electric fields and the direction the electrons ahead of cannot change the speed, but I can’t be sure about that. I really hope that someone can help me on that, thank you very mouch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a force acting on each charge? If so, what is it and in what direction? Note that the Earth's gravitational field near the Earth's surface is also constant. Can you draw a parallel between the two situations?

Likes DaveE and berkeman

What is a charged capacitor?

A charged capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy by accumulating an excess of electrons on one of its plates and a deficiency of electrons on the other plate. This creates an electric field between the plates, which can be used to power electronic devices.

How do electrons enter a charged capacitor?

Electrons enter a charged capacitor when a voltage source, such as a battery, is connected to the capacitor. The voltage difference between the plates of the capacitor causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal of the source to the negatively charged plate of the capacitor, and from the positively charged plate of the capacitor to the positive terminal of the source.

What happens to the electrons inside a charged capacitor?

When electrons enter a charged capacitor, they are stored on one of the plates. As more electrons enter, the electric field between the plates becomes stronger. Once the capacitor reaches its maximum capacity, no more electrons can enter and the capacitor is fully charged.

Can electrons leave a charged capacitor?

Yes, electrons can leave a charged capacitor when a circuit is completed between the two plates. This allows the excess electrons on one plate to flow to the other plate, creating a current. The capacitor will then discharge and the electric field between the plates will decrease.

What is the purpose of a charged capacitor in a circuit?

A charged capacitor can be used in a circuit to store electrical energy and release it when needed. This can be useful for smoothing out fluctuations in voltage or providing a temporary power source. Capacitors are also commonly used in timing circuits and filters.