Electrons & Holes: Carbon Nanotube Symmetry Properties

In summary, holes are mathematical constructs that were created in order to avoid the use of negative values for mass. This has to do with electron-hole symmetry.
#neutrino
Well here's the problem carbon nanotubes possesses a electron - hole symmetry .my question is to what property of CNT'S does this symmetricity attribute to ? in otherwords if we dope this with a material with more electrons / holes what property will change ?

Physics news on Phys.org
please help me with this question

I was going to make a comment asking "why would you care since you think holes are "imaginary"?", but I won't!

(Ooops.. I think I just did).

First of all, do you know what "electron-hole symmetry" means?

Secondly, have you looked at the band structure of a carbon nanotube? In particular, have you looked carefully at the bands just above and just below the Fermi energy?

If you have done both, have you tried to figure out the connection between those two?

Zz.

First of all thanks for the constructive criticism but what i meant to say was the hole itself was a mathematical construction aimed at avoiding the use of negative values for mass . secondly i think i don't know what electron- hole symmetry means neither do i know what fermi energy means because i don't have the mathematical background yet ,so is there anyway of simplifying this for me ?

Likes Buzz Bloom
#neutrino said:
First of all thanks for the constructive criticism but what i meant to say was the hole itself was a mathematical construction aimed at avoiding the use of negative values for mass . secondly i think i don't know what electron- hole symmetry means neither do i know what fermi energy means because i don't have the mathematical background yet ,so is there anyway of simplifying this for me ?

Then I would strongly suggest that you hold off on your characterization of holes as being "unphysical" and "imaginary". You do not have sufficient knowledge YET to be able to make such a judgement. That's like saying air bubbles in water are "unphysical" and "imaginary".

Unfortunately, and this is something we encounter many times on here, your question is too advanced for you to understand the answer. This is because, if I explain it to you, than I will end up explaining what I had explained. It will be one step forward, and 3 steps back. You asked why CNTs have electron-hole symmetry, yet you don't know what "electron-hole symmetry" means (which begs the question: "Why would you even be interested to know why CNTs have electron-hole symmetry in the first place?"). And the very foundation of electronic behavior in solids, i.e. the concept of Fermi energy, is extremely vital.

For now, electron-hole symmetry, to you, means that both the electron and the hole that were created are mirror images of each other, having identical properties such as mobility, mass, etc. with the exception of having opposite charge.

If you want to know more, than start asking (or googling) topics that are more basic than that. Star by learning what is a "Fermi energy" in metals, and what is a band structure of a solid. Without understanding those FIRST, you will not be able to comprehend why CNTs have electron-hole symmetry.

Zz.

1. What are electrons and holes in carbon nanotubes?

Electrons and holes are charge carriers in carbon nanotubes, which are cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms. Electrons are negatively charged particles, while holes are positively charged particles that behave as if they were the absence of an electron.

2. How do electrons and holes contribute to the symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes?

Electrons and holes play a crucial role in determining the symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes. Their spatial distribution and energy levels affect the electronic and optical properties of the nanotubes, such as their conductivity and bandgap.

3. What is the significance of carbon nanotube symmetry properties?

The symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes are important for understanding their electronic and optical properties, as well as their potential applications in nanotechnology. They can also be used to classify and categorize different types of carbon nanotubes.

4. How are symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes characterized?

The symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes are typically characterized using mathematical models and symmetry operations, such as rotations, reflections, and translations. These models can help determine the nanotubes' chirality, or the arrangement of their carbon atoms.

5. Can the symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes be manipulated?

Yes, the symmetry properties of carbon nanotubes can be manipulated through various methods such as doping, strain, and external electric fields. This can alter the electronic and optical properties of the nanotubes, making them suitable for different applications in nanotechnology.