Electrons in a quantum well

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a finite elements simulation for electrons in the bottom of a conduction band in a specific material. This simulation involves using an effective mass approximation and calculating wave functions for electrons in a heterostructure well. However, there are difficulties with the kinetic energy operator across the interface between two different materials with different effective masses. The speaker is seeking a way to numerically account for this discontinuity in the kinetic energy matrix.
aaaa202
I am making a finite elements simulation of electrons in the bottom of the conduction band of some material. To do so I assume that the electrons move in the bottom of a flat well with their original mass replaced by the effective mass. The idea is to calculate wave functions for electrons living in the bottom of a heterostructure well, as for example in InGaAs, which has a potential profile as shown on the attached picture.
However for the simulation I have some problems with the "discontinuity" of the kinetic energy operator across the InAs-GaAs interface. The kinetic energy is a matrix given by:
2/2m_eff * 1/Δx2 *A
, where A is a matrix defined by:
A(i,i)=-2
A(i+1,i)=1
A(i,i+1)=1
,i.e. the standard form for the second derivative in the finite element method.
However across the interface the effective mass changes from the effective mass for InAs to the effective mass for InAs. How can I write up the matrix for the kinetic energy such that it "stitches" the wave functions from the two segments correctly together?
If I did it analytically I would have some boundary conditions to use, but I need to do this numerically since I am going to develop it further in a way, where a numerical approach is crucial.

Attachments

• InGaAs.png
    InGaAs.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 196
Physics news on Phys.org
On similar discontinuity with charge densities I use ##tanh## approximation for the conduct area.

What is a quantum well?

A quantum well is a structure in which electrons are confined to a thin layer, typically less than 100 nanometers in thickness, in one or more dimensions. This confinement leads to unique quantum mechanical properties and behavior of the electrons.

How are electrons confined in a quantum well?

Electrons in a quantum well are confined by potential barriers, which are created by different materials or by applying an external electric field. These barriers prevent the electrons from moving freely in all directions, confining them to the thin layer of the quantum well.

What is the significance of electrons in a quantum well?

Electrons in a quantum well have quantized energy levels, meaning they can only have certain discrete energy values. This has important implications for the electronic and optical properties of the material, making it useful for applications in optoelectronics, quantum computing, and other fields.

What factors affect the behavior of electrons in a quantum well?

The behavior of electrons in a quantum well is affected by the thickness of the well, the potential barriers, and the properties of the materials used. It can also be influenced by temperature and external electric or magnetic fields.

What are some potential applications of electrons in a quantum well?

Quantum wells have a wide range of potential applications, including in semiconductor lasers, transistors, and detectors. They also have potential uses in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and other emerging technologies.