Electrons in rectilinear uniform motion

In summary, electrons in rectilinear uniform motion will experience an external magnetic field, but their path will become curved once they enter a region with a non-zero magnetic field. This is the reason for the distortion of images on old tube-televisions when a magnet is brought close to them. The electrons in the television are in a uniform rectilinear motion, but when the magnet is introduced, they are deflected from their original path, causing distortion in the image. It is not recommended to try this experiment at home as it can cause permanent damage to the screen. This experiment can be seen in Walter Lewin's lectures on MIT's OCW or on Youtube.
crx
Im wondering if electrons in rectilinear uniform motion will 'feel' an external magnetic field...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they will, but once they enter a region of non-zero magnetic field, they will no longer be in rectilinear motion. Their path is curved.

Yes they will.
This is the reason why image gets distorted when you bring a magnet close to one of those "old" tube-televisions. Electrons hit the screen in order to produce the collors you see. They're in a (approximately) uniform rectilinear motion (they really aren't, since there's always some energy lost when accelerating charges). When you bring a magnet close to it, the electrons are deviated from original path, and you will see some distortion in the image.

I don't recommend you try this at home if you still want to use the television after the experiment (I've done this a few times as a child, and once I did it in the computer screen - WOW, it was really fun. Pity it left a permanent damage in the screen, and my parents didn't share the same artistic tastes as me). I've seen this experiment in one of Walter Lewin's lectures in MIT's OCW, but I'm sure you may find it in Youtube as well.

Related to Electrons in rectilinear uniform motion

1. What is rectilinear uniform motion?

Rectilinear uniform motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed.

2. How do electrons move in rectilinear uniform motion?

Electrons in rectilinear uniform motion move in a straight line with a constant velocity, meaning they have a constant speed and direction.

3. What is the significance of electrons in rectilinear uniform motion?

Electrons in rectilinear uniform motion are important in understanding the behavior of electric currents and in the functioning of electronic devices.

4. Can electrons in rectilinear uniform motion change direction?

No, electrons in rectilinear uniform motion cannot change direction unless an external force acts upon them, causing them to accelerate.

5. How is rectilinear uniform motion different from other types of motion?

Rectilinear uniform motion is different from other types of motion because it involves an object moving in a straight line with a constant speed, whereas other types of motion may involve changes in speed or direction.