Electrons vs Ground: What's the Difference?

In summary, electrons flow from a negative potential to a positive potential depending on the existence of a conducting path. This is not limited to AC current, as seen in the video of a Tesla coil on a car. Connecting one side of a battery to a cold water pipe connected to ground will not drain the battery unless the other terminal is also connected to ground. Sky-to-ground lightning strikes occur when there is a negative charge relative to ground, and air can provide a conducting path.
High_Voltage
I know that electrons want to flow to ground (earth ground) so I have a few questions: Is it only AC current that flows to ground(I ask this because I saw a video of a person with a Tesla coil on their car and the electricity was going to the ground)? If I put the -(negative) side of a 9V battery on a cold water pipe that is connected to ground will the electrons flow, and drain the battery.The video with the Tesla Coil:

Watch from 2:03 to 2:29

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is just not true that electrons "want" to do anything.

Electrons flow where there is a potential difference to drive them. They flow from a negative potential to a positive potential depending on the existence of a conducting path.

This is the case when sky-to-ground lightning strikes occur and the storm clouds develop a negative charge relative to ground because even air provides a conducting path if the voltage is high enough.
If the charge was positive, then electrons would flow FROM the ground to the storm cloud.

Connecting one side of a battery to ground does not drain the electrons unless the other terminal of the battery is also connected to ground.

Related to Electrons vs Ground: What's the Difference?

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom.

2. What is ground state?

Ground state refers to the lowest energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom.

3. What is the difference between an electron and ground state?

An electron is a particle, while ground state is a term used to describe the energy level of an electron in an atom. In other words, an electron is a physical entity, while ground state is a conceptual state.

4. How do electrons and ground state relate to each other?

Electrons exist in different energy levels around the nucleus of an atom. The ground state is the lowest energy level an electron can occupy. Electrons can move between energy levels, but they tend to be most stable in the ground state.

5. Are electrons and ground state the same thing?

No, electrons and ground state are not the same thing. Electrons are particles, while ground state is a term used to describe the energy level of an electron. They are related, but not interchangeable.