Why Is My Calculation of Electrostatic Equilibrium Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the electrostatic force exerted by objects at different positions and charges. The participants discuss using Coulomb's Law and drawing a diagram to determine the direction and magnitude of the forces. They also consider the possibility of a third charge and how it would affect the calculations. However, they conclude that the value of the third charge is not necessary to determine the electric field.
cs44167
Homework Statement
A charge of 2.0 microcoulombs is positioned at (0,0) and a charge of -6.0 microcoulombs is positioned at (3,0). Where must a third charge be placed in order to be in electrostatic equilibrium?
Relevant Equations
Electrostatic Force = kq1q2/d^2
I set the electrostatic force exerted by the object at (0,0) and (3,0) equal to each other, dividing out k and q2. I was left with q1/d^2 for both terms and substituted in the given charges for each object. I then replaced d^2 for the object at (0,0) with “x^2” and d^2 for the object at (3,0) with “(3-x)^2”. I got an answer of (1.098, 0) which made sense that it would be somewhere left of 1.50, but was incorrect.

Any helpers in where I went wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In which directions do the forces go?

Orodruin said:
In which directions do the forces go?
So the third charge would have to be to the left of the origin, correct?

Then you would have negative-positive-negative.

From there I’m struggling with Coulomb’s Law because we don’t know the magnitude of the charge on the third object. I have q3q1/x^2 =q1q2/3^2 but we don’t know x or q3.

cs44167 said:

From there I’m struggling with Coulomb’s Law because we don’t know the magnitude of the charge on the third object. I have q3q1/x^2 =q1q2/3^2 but we don’t know x or q3.

Make sure to draw a diagram. Try positioning this third charge at a distance ##d## to the left of the origin, and then draw on the forces. I don't believe you need to know ##q_{3}##.

cs44167 said:

You can look at this two ways. You can take any charge ##q_3## and try to make the total force on ##q_3## due to ##q_1## and ##q_2## equal to zero. If ##q_3## doesn't cancel out, then you have a serious conceptual or mathematical problem!

Or, you can look for a position where the electric field due to ##q_1## and ##q_2## is zero. Then, clearly, the value of ##q_3## is irrelevant.

cs44167 said:
I have q3q1/x^2 =q1q2/3^2 but we don’t know x or q3.
Can you write down in words what ##\frac{q_3q_1}{x^2}## is supposed to be? It is the force of object [which] on object [which other]?

Can you write down in words what ##\frac{q_3q_2}{3^2}## is supposed to be? It is the force of object [which] on object [which other]?

Which object are you trying to find the force on?

1. What is electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is a state in which the net electric charge within a closed system is zero. This means that there is no movement of electric charges, and the electric field is constant throughout the system.

2. How is electrostatic equilibrium achieved?

Electrostatic equilibrium can be achieved through the process of charging by induction, where a charged object is brought near an uncharged object and the charges within the uncharged object rearrange themselves to create an equal but opposite charge, resulting in a net charge of zero.

3. What is the significance of electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is important in many natural and man-made systems, such as in the stability of atoms, the functioning of electronic devices, and the behavior of lightning. It also allows for the study and understanding of electric fields and their effects on objects.

4. How does electrostatic equilibrium relate to Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In electrostatic equilibrium, the forces between charges are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. Can electrostatic equilibrium be disrupted?

Yes, electrostatic equilibrium can be disrupted by the introduction of an external electric field or by changes in the distribution of charges within the system. This can result in the movement of charges and a change in the electric field, breaking the state of equilibrium.