Electrostatic Force Concept Question

In summary, the question is asking for a comparison between the electrostatic force and the gravitational force between an electron-proton pair. The ratio of these forces can be found by setting up the equation Fe/Fg. While the question does not give specific values for the masses or distance, you can use standard values for the mass of an electron (Me = 9.1x10^(-31) kg) and a proton (Mp = 1.7x10^(-27) kg) and the distance between the pairs (r = 0.53 x10^(-10) m) to compare the two forces. You can also play around with different values for the distance and masses to better understand the significance of this comparison.
whitejac

Homework Statement

Consider an electron-proton pair and compare its electrostatic force with that of the gravitational force [G=6.67x10^11 Nm^2/kg^2].

Homework Equations

F = k * |q1 * q2| / r^2
k = 1/4π∈

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the force by using the charge of an electron squared (abs value) with an arbitrary r^2. I don't understand what the question is asking? Compare it to what? My textbook's answer says Fe/Fg is the answer. That's nice. I'm more interested in the why this is important part and which gravitational force we're dealing with.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking you to look at the ratio of the two forces. Basically, it wants to know which one is larger, since the answer in the book is stating Fe/Fg.

Last edited:
You're also looking at the gravitational force between the electron-proton pair, using the universal gravitational constant. Does the question give you any more information? Did you find the required r, Mp, and Me for the calculation? Does the question state the typical distances found in orbit around a hydrogen atom or any other element?

Basically you clean glean a few things from this. Which should be fairly obvious when you're done.

Last edited:
Thank you for that insight on how to approach this problem. No, it did not give me any information other than what I presented. I found the equations myself and chose (appropriately I hope) my values for the charge. How does one get the gravitational force when r is only given generally? No masses were given either.

For context, I just picked this problem from the back of my book while studying. I am not well versed in how physicist go about things and figured it'd make more sense to others. To me it is incomplete - aside from what you said.

whitejac said:
Thank you for that insight on how to approach this problem. No, it did not give me any information other than what I presented. I found the equations myself and chose (appropriately I hope) my values for the charge. How does one get the gravitational force when r is only given generally? No masses were given either.

Have you set up Fe/Fg? You'll discover that ratio is independent of the distance between the photon and electron, so you don't actually need a defined r. To get just Fg or Fe, it seems the question has generally left the distance between the pairs up to your choice. So you can play around with different values, for the standard distances in the orbit of a hydrogen atom you can use the value r = 0.53 x10^(-10) m. The mass of an electron is Me = 9.1x10^(-31) kg and Mp is 1.7x10^(-27)kg. In order to get the r value from the equations you would need to given a force in either equation.

Fg = GMpMe/r^2

While Fe is the equation you have listed.. ke^2/r^2

Fg will give the gravitational force between the two pairs. While Fe will give the electric force.

You can also play around with Fg by calculating the gravitational force between something like the Earth and the sun.

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that exists between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the attraction or repulsion of electric charges and is responsible for many everyday phenomena such as static electricity and lightning.

2. How is electrostatic force different from other types of forces?

Electrostatic force is different from other types of forces, such as gravitational or magnetic forces, because it is based on the electric charge of particles rather than their mass or magnetic properties. It also has a much stronger effect at the atomic and molecular level, while other forces become more dominant on a larger scale.

3. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force depends on the magnitude of the electric charges involved and the distance between them. The force increases as the charges get closer together and decreases as the distance between them increases. It is also affected by the medium between the charges, as different materials have different levels of electrical conductivity.

4. How is electrostatic force related to Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between electric charges and the force they exert on each other. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. How is electrostatic force used in everyday life?

Electrostatic force is used in many modern technologies, such as electronics, power generation, and industrial processes. It is also responsible for everyday phenomena like the attraction and repulsion of magnets, the shock we feel when touching a doorknob, and the behavior of lightning. Understanding electrostatic force is crucial for many fields of science and engineering.