Electrostatic force on polymer particle in an electric field

In summary, electrospinning uses a positive charge to create a viscous polymer jet from a needle. The jet is then drawn to a grounded collector where it is suspended in the electric field. The field strength is determined by the needle diameter and the distance between the needle and the collector.
Funner
Hi there,

in electrospinning, a positive charge of around 10.000Volt is applied to a needle, where a viscous polymer is extruded. There is a grounded collector in a distance of 15mm and the established electrical field generates electrostatic forces and draws a thin polymer jet to the collector (polymer scaffolds with multiple fibres/layers are build and used for harvesting cells for Tissue Engineering).

So we are looking at ions immersed into the polymer around the needle, which are attracted to the grounded collector and thus, accelerate the polymer towards the grounded

In a simplified form, we are looking at a point charge ( needle-tip) and an infinite plane ( collector) see picture.
I am aware of the inversely proportional relation of distance and charge, but my question is:

--> When I increase the distance between the needle and the collector (point-infinite plane) how do I need to increase the voltage accordingly (linear, squared,..??), to maintain constant electrostatic forces on the polymer?
--> for example: I double the distance to 30 mm now.. after the inv. prop. relation, this would mean that I have to apply 100.000V now (=10.000_squrt). This, however is not feasible, and not technically doable! There will be strong dialectic break-down at around 25KV. In reality, we do fabricate scaffolds at 30mm and need to apply around 20KV to get a nice polymer flow..

Help is very well appreciated!

f

question.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
What's important is the field strength at the tip of the needle. It varies greatly with the needle diameter but is rather insensitive to the distance between the needle and the ground plate. My guess is that even if you double the distance you probably won't need to increase the applied voltage by any more than a couple of volts.

Thanks Hendryk, we keep the diameter constant. can you suggest any formula or mathematical correlation. I can not find the right description!

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force exerted between two electrically charged objects. It can be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the objects.

How does an electric field affect polymer particles?

An electric field can cause a polymer particle to become polarized, meaning that the charges within the particle are rearranged. This can result in an attractive or repulsive force between the particle and the electric field.

What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force on a polymer particle?

The strength of the electrostatic force on a polymer particle depends on the magnitude of the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the distance between the particle and the source of the electric field.

Can electrostatic force cause polymer particles to move?

Yes, electrostatic force can cause polymer particles to move if the force is strong enough. However, other factors such as particle size and shape can also influence the particle's movement.

What are some applications of understanding electrostatic force on polymer particles?

Understanding electrostatic force on polymer particles is important in industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and food processing, where controlling the behavior and movement of particles is crucial for product quality and efficiency.