Electrostatic Induction and Spray Painting

In summary, a droplet of paint is charged due to the electrostatic field in the paint and the charge on the droplet will depend on its volume and the charge density of the paint it came from.
window
Hi,

What is the charge on a droplet of paint?

Im trying to understand what's going on in electrostatic spray painting - specifically at the spray nozzle (this could also be crop spraying too)

My understanding so far is that a paint supply is fed into a grounded nozzle. An electrode (le'ts say it's ring shaped) sits around the nozzle. The electrode is insulated from the paint so that no current can flow between the two.

The electrostaic field impinges on the paint. In the paint like charges are repelled and unlike charges attract towards the electrode. The paint in the end of the nozzle is charged.

When droplets of paint are formed in spray they are also charged. I want to develop and expression for the charge on the droplet of paint.

I imagine I'm going to break the problem down as follows:

1. the electrostatic field strength in the paint is a function of the electrode voltage, distance, and a property of the air seperating the two.

2. the density of the charge induced in the paint is a function of the electrostatic field strength, and a property of the paint to do with the mobility of electrons in the paint.

3. the charge on a droplet will depend on its volume, and the charge density of the paint it came from.

Does this seem about right or have I made some dumb mistakes in this?
I have read some info on Coulombs law, but I don't seem to be able to relate it here...I think that's the burden of my lumbering brain though.

Any pointers to equations / laws for 1,2, & 3 above would be very helpful - I can then try to get my head around it - I'm just finding it difficult to get started.

Thanks very much for any help with this, I'm really stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get any solution to this?? I am trying to find the same thing but can´t... can you send me an email if you do?
bernyag@hotmail.com
Thanks!

1. What is electrostatic induction?

Electrostatic induction is the process of creating a static electric charge on a conductor by bringing another charged object near it without making direct contact. This is possible because the charged object induces a charge separation in the conductor, creating a temporary charge imbalance.

2. How does electrostatic induction play a role in spray painting?

In spray painting, electrostatic induction is used to create a charged field between the spray gun and the object being painted. This allows the paint particles to be attracted to the object, resulting in a more even and efficient coating.

3. Can electrostatic induction be dangerous?

While electrostatic induction is generally considered safe, it can be dangerous in certain situations. If the charged object is high voltage, it can cause electric shocks. Additionally, if flammable materials are present, the electrostatic charge can create sparks, potentially causing fires or explosions.

4. How is electrostatic induction used in industrial applications?

Electrostatic induction is commonly used in industrial applications such as spray painting, powder coating, and electrostatic precipitation. It is also used in electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection measures to prevent damage to sensitive electronic components.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using electrostatic induction in spray painting?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using electrostatic induction in spray painting. It reduces overspray and paint waste, resulting in less pollution and lower material costs. It also allows for a more precise coating, reducing the need for touch-ups and rework. Additionally, electrostatic spray painting can be used with low-VOC (volatile organic compound) paints, which are more environmentally friendly.