Scaling up a mass spectrometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of using electrostatic dust accelerators to deflect small debris in space, specifically a speck of paint. The main question is whether this technology can be scaled up to larger sizes with a strong enough magnetic field and ionizing currents. However, there are limitations in terms of voltage and the need to ionize the particle. Furthermore, the effectiveness of electrostatic interactions is limited to a few meters, making it more practical to aim for a direct hit on the debris. The purpose of this discussion is to explore the potential use of this technology for a scholarship application.
Alosha
The essential question is can this tech be scaled up in the vacuum of space to add a substantial tangential acceleration to the orbital velocity vector of a piece of debris such as a speck of paint 1cm^2 in cross section. I am looking to deflect that speck of paint into a container or out of orbit. Could this tech be scaled up to say 10s of meters or larger with a strong enough magnetic field and intense ionizing currents?

I understand F=qvB , although am not sure how to calculate what the maximum induced surface charge of speck would be (or whether there is one). I think I remember from my electro-mechanics class that on Earth roughly the strongest electrostatic force which can be induced is 9N(Would be very substantial for a speck of paint). Is this the case in near Earth orbit?

There is also the issue of B=UoH where Uo=4Pi*10^-7 but at the same time, relative velocity would not be small in orbit and B neither.

Sorry if it's a little bit of a vague question but I have almost no grasp on orbital mechanics and am just trying to get an idea of whether this is a feasible concept worth doing research around or whether I am missing something substantial. The reason I'm looking into it is a proposal for a scholarship application I am in the process of writing.

If I am missing something big, out of interest what would be theoretically the largest particle which could be effectively deflected by a scaled up mass spectrometer or something similar- talking in whole degrees of deflection.

Thanks for any info or help.

Alosha.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrostatic dust accelerators can accelerate picogram masses to a 10 km/s. If you are fine with 1 km/s, a nanogram might work. A naive scaling would suggest a microgram for 100 m/s (deorbiting). Example. But they need the dust particle inside the accelerator, and they have a 3 MV acceleration gradient.

Outside a spacecraft you won't get close to such a voltage. And you would have to ionize the particle (that is not designed for it) first.

And where is the point? Every electrostatic interaction would only be effective at a scale of meters. If you can come so close, you can aim for a direct hit of the particle in some absorber.

What is a mass spectrometer and what is its purpose?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument that is used to identify and measure the mass of different particles in a sample. The purpose of a mass spectrometer is to provide information about the chemical and physical properties of a sample, such as its composition, structure, and isotopic abundance.

How does a mass spectrometer work?

A mass spectrometer works by ionizing a sample, separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio, and then detecting and measuring the separated ions. This is done through a series of steps including ionization, acceleration, separation, and detection.

What are the benefits of scaling up a mass spectrometer?

Scaling up a mass spectrometer allows for increased sensitivity, improved resolution, and faster analysis times. It also allows for the analysis of larger and more complex samples, and the ability to detect a wider range of molecules and elements.

What are the challenges of scaling up a mass spectrometer?

Some challenges of scaling up a mass spectrometer include maintaining high levels of accuracy and precision, managing the increased amount of data generated, and ensuring the instrument is properly calibrated and maintained. Additionally, scaling up may require significant financial and technical resources.

What factors should be considered when choosing a mass spectrometer for scaling up?

When choosing a mass spectrometer for scaling up, factors such as the type of samples being analyzed, the required sensitivity and resolution, the budget and available resources, and the compatibility with other laboratory equipment should all be considered. It is also important to consider the level of technical expertise and support needed for the chosen instrument.