Electrostatic potential question:what does "Slowly" indicate

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a charge in an electric field and the work done by an external agent. The question asks about the significance of the term "slowly" and its relation to kinetic energy. It is suggested that "slowly" implies no change in kinetic energy and that this may be necessary to avoid losing energy in electromagnetic waves. However, the use of "slowly" is criticized as being unnecessary and confusing for students.
gracy
A charge s moved in an electric field of a fixed charge distribution from point A to another point B SLOWLY.The work done by external agent in doing so is 100J.What is the change in potential energy?Now that is not my actual question.I want to ask what does "SLOWLY" indicate?I know to apply the formula below change in Kinetic energy has to be zero
work done (external)=change in potential energy
for that change in velocity should be zero and for that if particle was at rest initially it should be at rest afterwards and if it was moving with certain velocity it should be moving with the same velocity afterwards thus acceleration should be zero.
But why then question does not mention that acceleration is zero?And why does the question say" slowly"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
why does the question say" slowly"?
It's just one of many ways to indicate/say that a process is being done reversibly.

why is reversibility needed?

I do not see why this has to be done slowly. If the following happens, quickly or slowly, the gained potential energy should be 100 J:

1) A charge is at point A in the static electric field and has kinetic energy x.
2) The charge moves from point A to point B in the static electric field while an external force is applied to it such that the work done on it by that external force is 100 J and such that only the electric and external force are acting on it.
3) The charge is at point B in the static electric field and has kinetic energy x.

if ##\int_A^B F_{ext}\,ds=100\,J## then the change in potential energy is 100 J.

Last edited:
Slowly implies that the radiation due to accelerated charges is negligible. If you try to move the charge quickly or jerkily then you will lose some energy in electromagnetic waves.

Khashishi said:
Slowly implies that the radiation due to accelerated charges is negligible. If you try to move the charge quickly or jerkily then you will lose some energy in electromagnetic waves.
But my teacher said Slowly " in this case means that there is no change in kinetic energy of the particle.

Doc Zaius

Yes, but you know that the KE does not change. This may be possible if the external force equals the electrostatic force at any point or if it varies in such a way to ensure the net work to be zero.

Moving it slowly is just and awkward way to say that the kinetic energy can be neglected (assuming it starts from rest).
These complication are due to the unfortunate idea to define potential energy in terms of some external forces rather than using the standard definition.

Likes gracy
nasu said:
Moving it slowly is just and awkward way to say that the kinetic energy can be neglected (assuming it starts from rest).

Calling it awkward is an understatement. Why have your students scratch their heads about whether "slowly" is meant to convey that no energy is lost to radiation, or whether "slowly" means that there is no change in kinetic energy? By the way, the latter interpretation is an odd one indeed. You could move the charge "slowly" and still have it gain kinetic energy.

Why not instead just explicitly state that the charge's kinetic energy does not change, and let the student concentrate on the concepts that you mean to have them concentrate on? This isn't directed at you of course, nasu. It's just this reminds me of the frustrations I experienced as a student while encountering completely unnecessary points of confusion.

I agree with you. I was just trying to understand the motives of the authors of the problem.
I would not introduce any external force in the definition of PE.

Related to Electrostatic potential question:what does "Slowly" indicate

1. What does "Slowly" indicate in the context of electrostatic potential?

The term "Slowly" in electrostatic potential refers to the rate at which a charged object is moving or changing position. It indicates that the movement of the charged object is not instantaneous, but rather gradual and can be observed over a period of time.

2. Why is it important to consider the speed of movement in electrostatic potential?

The speed of movement is important in electrostatic potential because it affects the strength of the electric field and the resulting forces on charged particles. A slowly moving charged object will have a weaker electric field compared to a quickly moving one.

3. How does the speed of movement impact the distribution of charge in an object?

The speed of movement can impact the distribution of charge in an object because it determines the amount of time the charges have to move and redistribute within the object. A faster movement can result in a more even distribution of charges, while a slower movement may result in an uneven distribution.

4. Can the speed of movement affect the electrostatic potential energy of a system?

Yes, the speed of movement can affect the electrostatic potential energy of a system. As the movement of charged objects changes, the electric potential energy of the system also changes. A slowly moving charged object will have a lower potential energy compared to a quickly moving one.

5. How can the speed of movement be controlled in electrostatic potential experiments?

The speed of movement can be controlled in electrostatic potential experiments by adjusting the voltage, distance between charged objects, and the mass of the charged objects. These factors can influence the speed of movement and allow for the desired rate to be achieved.