Electrostatics and Coulumb's law, potentials and test charges

In summary, a test charge of 2*10^-6 C will travel towards the -6V potential. Its kinetic energy will be 12*10^-6 J when it arrives. The capacitance of a capacitor with the same energy as the test charge's kinetic energy is 6.67*10^-7 F. If a -2*10^-6 C test charge is used instead, it will go towards the highest potential among the charged objects. The speed of the test charge with a mass of 37.3*10^-21 will be determined by calculating its kinetic energy using the potential energy at its destination.
Plasmosis1
I am given 4 potential charges, 1V, 3V, -6V, and 5V, all arranged randomly around each other. There is a test charge located at infinity. No distances are given between the potentials.1. Where will a test charge of 2*10^-6 C travel?
2. What is its kinetic energy?
3. Find the capatinance of a capacitor with the same energy as #2
4. Use a -2*10^-6 C test charge instead on the +2*10^-6 C charge. Where will it go?
5. If the new charge has a mass of 37.3*10^-21 what will its speed be at its destination?

1. I think it will go towards the -6 potential
2. PE= q*v and I think the PE will equal the KE when it arrives. 2*10^-6*(1+5+(-6)+3)=6*10^-6. However I'm not sure if I should add the volts together.
3. C=q/v so 2*10^-6/(1+5+(-6)+3)=6.67*10^-7 F. Again, I'm not sure if I should add the volts together.
4. I would think the charge would stay in infinity because it has an opposite charge.
5. I have no clue on this question because it contradics my previous answer.

I don't really have any idea what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plasmosis1 said:
I am given 4 potential charges, 1V, 3V, -6V, and 5V, all arranged randomly around each other. There is a test charge located at infinity. No distances are given between the potentials.

1. Where will a test charge of 2*10^-6 C travel?
2. What is its kinetic energy?
3. Find the capatinance of a capacitor with the same energy as #2
4. Use a -2*10^-6 C test charge instead on the +2*10^-6 C charge. Where will it go?
5. If the new charge has a mass of 37.3*10^-21 what will its speed be at its destination?

1. I think it will go towards the -6 potential
2. PE= q*v and I think the PE will equal the KE when it arrives. 2*10^-6*(1+5+(-6)+3)=6*10^-6. However I'm not sure if I should add the volts together.
3. C=q/v so 2*10^-6/(1+5+(-6)+3)=6.67*10^-7 F. Again, I'm not sure if I should add the volts together.
4. I would think the charge would stay in infinity because it has an opposite charge.
5. I have no clue on this question because it contradics my previous answer.

I don't really have any idea what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated.

You mean that there are four charged objects (small metal spheres, for example) held at different potentials (with respect to infinity).
1.) Yes, the positive test charge will go to the negatively charged object.
2.) The test charge had zero kinetic energy and zero potential energy at infinity. Arriving to the place where the potential is -6 V, its potential energy is PE=UQ=-6*2˙10-6=-12˙10-6 J. As the energy is conserved in an electric field, KE=12˙10-6 J. The other charged objects do not matter as the potential is given at the place where the test charge arrives. Do not add the potentials.
3.) You have to find the a capacitance if the capacitor has the same energy as the KE of the test charge. How is the energy of a capacitor expressed in terms of its capacitance and voltage?
4.) When the test charge is negative it will be attracted by the objects at positive potential, and it will go to the place at highest potential.
5.)Calculate the kinetic energy again, and you get the speed from it.

ehild

Related to Electrostatics and Coulumb's law, potentials and test charges

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It deals with the behavior of stationary or slow-moving electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that describes the force between two electric charges. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of an electric charge in an electric field. It is the amount of work per unit charge needed to move a test charge from infinity to a specific point in the electric field.

4. What is a test charge?

A test charge is a small, point-like charge that is used to measure the electric field at a specific point in space. It has a negligible effect on the overall electric field and does not disturb the system being studied.

5. How does the distance between two charges affect the electric force between them?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.