Electrostatics problem: Metal coupled to a semiconductor

In summary, what you are trying to do is calculate the electrostatic potential due to a charge distribution in a semiconductor coupled to a metal. You need to supply it with boundary conditions, and the electrostatic potential should approach a constant at the metal boundary. However, you don't think the electrostatic potential should be the same constant as in the metal.
aaaa202
I am simulating a system, where I have a semiconductor with a charge distribution in the conduction band coupled to a metal. I want to calculate the electrostatic potential due to this charge distribution but some things are confusing me. To calculate the electrostatic potential I solve Poissons equation inside and outside the semiconductor. To do so I need to supply it with some boundary conditions. Since the metal is a conductor the electrostatic potential should approach a constant at the metal boundary. Furthermore I should also specify the electrostatic potential in the vacuum region far away from the semiconductor, i.e. at infinity. But what should this value be? Obviously it should be a constant but I do not think it should be the same constant as in the metal. What are your thoughts on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If conductor has no residual charge on its boundary then it can be considered as constant potential very far. It will be better to work with electric field instead. It should be zero inside and normal outward at the surface always!

aaaa202 said:
I am simulating a system, where I have a semiconductor with a charge distribution in the conduction band coupled to a metal.
So you are talking about a Schottky diode?

aaaa202 said:
I am simulating a system, where I have a semiconductor with a charge distribution in the conduction band coupled to a metal. I want to calculate the electrostatic potential due to this charge distribution but some things are confusing me. To calculate the electrostatic potential I solve Poissons equation inside and outside the semiconductor. To do so I need to supply it with some boundary conditions. Since the metal is a conductor the electrostatic potential should approach a constant at the metal boundary. Furthermore I should also specify the electrostatic potential in the vacuum region far away from the semiconductor, i.e. at infinity. But what should this value be? Obviously it should be a constant but I do not think it should be the same constant as in the metal. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm with svein. You're trying to do what has already been done and shown many times (mostly in textbooks).

Rather than approaching this as a classical E&M problem, you need to deal with the difference in the Fermi energy of each material and learn what happens when two materials of different Fermi energy at in contact with one another. The physics at the junction is no different than the physics at, say, a p-n junction that causes the depletion layer boundary.

Zz.

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves the interaction between these charges and the electric fields they produce.

What is a metal coupled to a semiconductor?

A metal coupled to a semiconductor refers to a system in which a metal object is in close proximity to a semiconductor material. This can result in the transfer of electrons between the two materials, leading to changes in their electrical properties.

How does a metal coupled to a semiconductor affect the semiconductor's conductivity?

The presence of a metal object in close proximity to a semiconductor can alter the semiconductor's conductivity by creating a depletion region, where there is a lack of free charge carriers, near the metal interface. This can lead to changes in the overall conductivity of the semiconductor material.

What factors can affect the electrostatics problem in a metal coupled to a semiconductor?

The electrostatics problem in a metal coupled to a semiconductor can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the metal and the semiconductor, the type of metal used, the type of semiconductor material, and the presence of any impurities or defects in the materials.

How is the electrostatics problem in a metal coupled to a semiconductor commonly studied?

The electrostatics problem in a metal coupled to a semiconductor is commonly studied through experiments and simulations, using techniques such as scanning electron microscopy and electrical measurements. Theoretical models and calculations are also used to better understand and predict the behavior of this system.