Electrostatics: Using a conducting string suspension.

In summary, the lab question involves inductively charging two spheres, allowing them to come in contact, and then measuring the distance that one of the spheres moves. The thought question asks how using a conducting string suspension for the suspended sphere would affect the equation for the distance moved (X). While the mass, force of gravity, constant, and length of the string would not be affected, the charge (Q) and distance between the spheres (d) could potentially be affected. It is suggested that using a conducting string may decrease the value of Q, which would in turn decrease the value of X and increase the value of d. Further clarification is needed to confirm these assumptions.
Dieinhell100

Homework Statement

This is a lab question.
Basically what the lab entails is we have two spheres. One is suspended from a string and another is attached to a non-conducting rod.

We inductively charge the sphere attached to the rod. Then we bring it close to the other sphere that is being suspended from a string and allow the two spheres to come in contact with each other briefly, leaving them both charged.

We bring the two spheres closely together so that the suspended sphere is repelled. We then measure the distance that the suspended sphere has moved from it's initial position (the difference is defined as X).

Pretty simple stuff.

However, on the lab there is a thought question. It gives us an equation for X (which is given below) and asks us what terms in the equation will be affected (and how) if we used a conducting string suspension for the sphere being suspended.

Homework Equations

X=(kl/mg)(Q^2/d^2)

Q^2 could also be written as (Q1*Q2). Q1 is the charge on the suspended sphere and Q2 is the charge on the sphere attached to the rod.
k is a constant equal to 8.99*10^9 Nm^2/C^2
l is the length of the string
m is the mass
g is the acceleration of gravity
d is the distance between the two spheres (whilst the repulsion is taking place)
And again, X is the distance between the initial position of the suspended sphere and the position once it's being repulsed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I don't believe using a conducting string would change the mass, the force of gravity, the constant k, or the length of the string.
That just leaves X, Q, and d.

My first thought is does it really change Q? Doesn't it just spread the charge between the string and the sphere. I believe that Q only concerns the sphere. So would this mean the value of Q decreases?

Wouldn't the "decrease" in Q change the values of X and d?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to explain this but I believe the value of X would decrease and the value of d would increase.But I'm not sure if I'm right, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great!

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. How does a conducting string suspension work?

A conducting string suspension uses the principle of electrostatic repulsion to keep an object suspended in the air. The object is attached to a conducting string, which is then charged with the same polarity as the object. This creates a repulsive force between the object and the string, allowing it to remain suspended.

3. Can any object be suspended using a conducting string suspension?

No, only objects that can hold a charge can be suspended using a conducting string suspension. This includes objects made of certain materials such as metal or plastic.

4. What factors affect the stability of a conducting string suspension?

The stability of a conducting string suspension depends on the strength of the charge on the object and the string, the distance between them, and the weight and shape of the object. If the charge is too weak or the distance is too large, the object may fall out of suspension. Additionally, a heavier or oddly shaped object may be more difficult to keep suspended due to uneven distribution of charge.

5. Are there any practical applications for conducting string suspensions?

Yes, conducting string suspensions have been used in scientific demonstrations and experiments to illustrate the principles of electrostatics. They have also been used in some specialized applications, such as suspending delicate objects in a cleanroom environment to prevent contamination.