Electrostatics - Work done by an electron

In summary, when moving an electron from a distance of 1nm to a distance of 10nm away from a hydrogen nucleus, the work done is positive due to the attractive force between the particles and the direction of the movement being in the same direction as the force. This is described by the equation W=\DeltaU=q\DeltaV. However, it may seem counterintuitive because the charges have more potential energy when they are closer together. This positive work is necessary to compensate for the attractive force between the unlike charges and separate them.
milkyway11
The problem states: how much work is done in moving an electron from a distance of 1nm to a distance of 10nm away from a hydrogen nucleus?

My attempt at the problem is using the W=[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=q[tex]\Delta[/tex]V. With this equation I would get a positive work. However, when I reason through the question, I would expect that it would have a negative work because I always thought the charges have more potential U when they are close to each other.

Could it be that the positive work is due to the unlike charges attract more at near distance and it takes more work to compensate the attractive force in order to separate them?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Consider a case where you're moving the electron in a straight line from a distance of 1nm to a distance of 10nm along the x-axis. Since the particles are attracting each other, you have to apply a force in the +x direction to do this. The distance that you move the electron is also in the +x direction. Since work is force dot distance (vector dot product), the work done by the force must be positive.

Related to Electrostatics - Work done by an electron

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and their interactions.

What is work done by an electron?

Work done by an electron is the measure of energy transferred when an electron moves from one point to another in an electric field.

How is work done by an electron calculated?

Work done by an electron can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the electron travels.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by an electron?

The unit of measurement for work done by an electron is joules (J).

What factors affect the work done by an electron?

The work done by an electron is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance the electron travels, and the charge of the electron.