Elegant proof of Fermats Last theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses an elegant proof of Fermat's Last Theorem and addresses potential errors in the proof. The proof involves constructing a triangle using coprime numbers and making substitutions to show that n is equal to 2. However, the conversation also mentions that n should be an odd natural number, which may affect the validity of the proof.
robert80
Elegant proof of Fermats Last theorem?

Hello to all. I have found an elegant would be solution of Fermats člast theorem and I would like to kindly ask you where is the mistake, since I am not skilled in Math...

Proof: Let us suppose that a,b,c are coprimes, so if we construct the from a,b,c the smallest triangle for solution of the Fermats Last Theorem. so let's suppose that the sollution exist, a^n + b^n = c^n so if we sqare the equation it will hold true that (a^n + b^n)^2 = (c^n)^2 so -----> a^2n + b^2n + 2a^nb^n = c^2n ----------> 2a^nb^n = c^2n - b^2n - a^2n, from the number theory we know that it follows that c^2n - b^2n is devidable by a^n, so c^2n - b^2n = a^n*k where k is the element of natural numbers. so let's multiply the original Fermats equation by factor k, so ------> a^n*k + b^n*k = c^n*k, let's now substitute the term a^n*k by c^2n - b^2n so:-------> c^2n - b^2n + b^n*k = c^n*k -------->b^n*(k - b^n) = c^n*(k - c^n), since b and c are coprimes b^n = (k - c^n)*m and c^n = (k - b^n)*m where m again is the element of Natural numbers. so--------> c^n + b^n*m = b^n + c^n*m, we see that m is 1, so -----> k = c^n + b^n let's now put that into 2a^nb^n = c^2n - b^2n - a^2n -----------> let's divide now the whole equation by a^n ----------------> 2b^n = c^n + b^n - a^2 -------------> b^n = c^n - a^2 and since a^n + b^n = c^n ---------> b^n = a^n + b^n - a^2 ------------> a^n = a^2 -------------> n = 2 if the solution of the fermats last theorem exists.

I believe n is the elemnt of odd natural numbers, and not natural, but for the proof itself this is not vital I suppose...

Thank you guys in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dividing a2n by an yields an, not a2.

Thread closed.

What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical conjecture proposed by Pierre de Fermat in 1637. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

Who proved Fermat's Last Theorem?

The proof of Fermat's Last Theorem was first published by Andrew Wiles in 1995 after years of research and efforts by many other mathematicians.

What is an elegant proof?

An elegant proof is a proof that is simple and concise, using minimal assumptions and steps. It is often considered more desirable than a complicated or lengthy proof.

Why is Fermat's Last Theorem significant?

Fermat's Last Theorem is significant because it was one of the most famous and long-standing unsolved problems in mathematics. Its proof has also led to further developments in the field of number theory.

What are some applications of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem has no direct practical applications, but its proof has contributed to the development of other fields such as algebraic geometry and modular forms. It has also inspired further research and discoveries in mathematics.