Elementary algebra: find the value of x

In summary, you are trying to solve ##\frac {7}{2x+2}=\frac {4x-3}{-2x-2}##but you get an equation that does not have a solution when you try to solve it using algebraic manipulations.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is my original question, i just want to know what i am missing here
find ##x## given;

##\frac {3}{2x+2}##+##\frac {4}{2x+2}##=##\frac {4x-3}{-2x-2}##
Relevant Equations
algebra addition and subtraction
##\frac {7}{2x+2}=\frac {4x-3}{-2x-2}##
##-7(2x+2)=(4x-3)(2x+2)##
##x^2+2x+1=0##
##x=1## or ##x=-1##

can we also have;

##-7=4x-3## can the ##2x+2## cancel out? i am a bit mixed up on this very simple problem...and why am i getting false on my ti nsipre...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
##x^2+2x+1=0##
##x=1## or ##x=-1##
Do you really have two solutions here?

chwala said:
##-7=4x-3## can the ##2x+2## cancel out? i am a bit mixed up on this very simple problem...and why am i getting false on my ti nsipre...
You get the equality to
$$
-7=4x-3
$$
by dividing both sides by ##2x+2##, which can can only do if ##2x+2 \neq 0##.

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: This is my original question, i just want to know what i am missing here
find ##x## given;
##\frac {3}{2x+2}##+##\frac {4}{2x+2}##=##\frac {4x-3}{-2x-2}##
Relevant Equations:: algebra addition and subtraction

##x^2+2x+1=0##
##x=1## or ##x=-1##
No.
The equation above has only one solution.

Also, the original equation can be written more simply as ##\frac {7}{2x+2}=\frac {-4x+3}{2x+2}##.

With rational equations such as this, you should always note any solutions that must be disallowed, because they cause one or more denominators to be zero.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

There are two approaches to solving equations by algebraic manipulations.

In the careful approach, when you do any operation, you write a note stating what is being assumed. For example, suppose you are solving ## x + \frac{1}{x-3} = 3 + \frac{1}{x-3}## and you decide to subtract ##\frac{1}{x-3}## from both sides. That manipulation assumes ## \frac{1}{x-3}## is a number. It is only a number if ##x \ne 3##. So when you do this manipulation, you write down "If ##x \ne 3##" and remember it is assumed.

In the less careful approach (often taught by teachers who dispair of getting students to write words along with their algebraic manipulations) you perform all the manipulations as if they must work and then, at the end, you check each of your answers in the original equation. A thoughtful student will wonder why standard manipulations can fail to produce correct answers. Standard symbolic manipulations are not 100% reliable if you do them without remembering the assumptions that are needed.

Likes docnet, DaveE, chwala and 1 other person
yeah i just saw it...i did not counter check...##x=-1##

DrClaude said:
Do you really have two solutions here?You get the equality to
$$
-7=4x-3
$$
by dividing both sides by ##2x+2##, which can can only do if ##2x+2 \neq 0##.

can they cancel out...i guess so...with the condition given by stephen...

Last edited:
Partially repeating what others have said:
if you bring the right-hand side term to the left hand side you see you have a sum of three fractions each one with the denominator ##(2x + 2)## .
The numerator, simplifying, is simply ##4x + 4##,
To satisfy the equation this has to be equal to 0, which it will be only if ##x = -1## .
However in that case the denominator also is 0, so this is not a solution at all.
As for any other solution, you have been through a procedure involving a quadratic and found one (##x=1##).Substitute back and you easily see this does not satisfy your equation.
You might be thinking along the lines that there is something about when you get squares you can get solutions which are not really solutions of the original problem. But that is not what is happening here – you have simply made a mistake. You have confused with something else that is rather like it. As Dr Claude prodded you on, so get this clear.

Last edited:
Likes docnet

1. What is elementary algebra?

Elementary algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and the solving of equations to find unknown values, typically represented by the letter "x". It is the foundation of higher level algebra and is essential for understanding more complex mathematical concepts.

2. How do I find the value of x in an equation?

To find the value of x in an equation, you need to isolate the variable by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to get x by itself on one side of the equation, with all the numbers and other variables on the other side.

3. What is the order of operations in elementary algebra?

The order of operations in elementary algebra is the same as in arithmetic. The acronym PEMDAS is commonly used to remember the order: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

4. Can I use a calculator to solve elementary algebra problems?

While calculators can be helpful in checking your work, it is important to understand the concepts and processes behind solving algebraic equations by hand. Relying solely on a calculator can hinder your understanding and ability to solve more complex problems in the future.

5. How can I improve my skills in elementary algebra?

Practice is key to improving your skills in elementary algebra. Make sure to understand the concepts and principles behind each problem before moving on to more difficult ones. Also, seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources if you are struggling with a particular concept.