If ##x> 1## and ##x^2 <2##, prove ##x < y##, ##y^2<2##

But this is the gist of my solution only.In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find a rational number y that satisfies the conditions x < y and y^2 < 2, given that x is a rational number greater than 1 and x^2 is less than 2. A possible solution is presented by defining alpha as the minimum of two expressions and then finding a smaller beta that satisfies the given conditions. This proof is sufficient in showing that the set of numbers x such that x^2 < 2 or x < 0 is a Dedekind left set.
issacnewton
Suppose ##x \in \mathbb{Q}## and ##x > 1## and ## x^2 < 2##. I need to come up with some ##y \in \mathbb{Q}## such that ##x < y## and ## y^2 < 2##. Here is my attempt. Give that ##x > 1## and ## x^2 < 2##, I have ## (2-x^2) > 0## and ##4x > 0##. Also, ##2x >0##. Now define

$$ \alpha = \text{ min} \Bigl\{ \frac{(2-x^2)}{4x}, 2x \Bigl\} $$

It can be seen that ##\alpha > 0##. Also, I have

$$ \alpha \leqslant \frac{(2-x^2)}{4x} \cdots \cdots (1) $$
$$ \alpha \leqslant 2x \cdots \cdots (2)$$

Since ##x \in \mathbb{Q}##, it can be seen that ##\alpha \in \mathbb{Q}##. Since ##\alpha > 0##, there exists some ##\beta \in \mathbb{Q}## such that ## 0 < \beta < \alpha ##. From above equations, it follows that

$$ 0 < \beta < \frac{(2-x^2)}{4x} \cdots \cdots (3) $$
$$ 0 < \beta < 2x \cdots \cdots (4)$$

This simplifies to the following

$$ x^2 + 4x \beta < 2 $$
$$ \beta^2 < 2\beta x $$

Now consider ##(x + \beta)^2##

$$ (x + \beta)^2 = x^2 + 2\beta x + \beta^2 $$

Using above inequalities, I have

$$ (x + \beta)^2 = x^2 + 2\beta x + \beta^2 < x^2 + 2\beta x + 2\beta x $$
$$ x^2 + 2\beta x + 2\beta x = x^2 + 4 \beta x < 2 $$

Hence ## (x + \beta)^2 < 2 ##. Now, let ## y = x + \beta ##. Due to closure of ##\mathbb{Q}##, it can be seen that ##y \in \mathbb{Q}##. Also
## x < y## and finally ## y^2 < 2##.

Is this proof good enough ?
Thanks

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it easy as follows.
1<x and ##x^2##<2 imply ##1<x<\sqrt{2}##
For all x < y and ##y^2##<2 imply y=##\{\varnothing\}##
For some x < y and ##y^2##<2 imply x<y<##\sqrt{2}##.

This is probably intended to prove that ##\sqrt{2}## exists so that's probably not sufficient annuta.

Issac, i think your proof is good but complicated. You can just define ##\alpha## to be 9/10 of your definition, and then you don't need to also define ##\beta##.

The bigger win is learning how to avoid having to min multiple complicated expressions. You can assume ##\alpha## is small, which if it's less than 1 ##\alpha^2 < \alpha##. So ##(x+\alpha)^2 < x^2+(2x+1)\alpha##, which makes picking ##\alpha## really easy, ##\frac{9}{10}min(1,(2-x^2)/(2x+1)##.

Starting off by assuming your number will be really small often makes the proof a lot shorter, and more intuitive since the interesting case is going to be when ##x^2## is close to 2.

Last edited:
Likes mfb and anuttarasammyak
For any x such as
##2-x^2:=\epsilon>0##
There exists y such that
##2-y^2=\alpha \epsilon## where 0<##\alpha##<1
So
##x^2<y^2<2##
thus ##1<x<y## and ##y^2<2##

Last edited:
Suppose we wanted to construct a strictly increasing sequence of rationals starting with [itex]x_0 = 1[/itex] such that [itex]x_n \to \sqrt{2}[/itex] as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]. One method is to start with [itex]x^2 = 2[/itex] and add [itex]x[/itex] to both sides: [tex]
x + x^2 = x + 2.[/tex] Now dividing by [itex]x + 1[/itex] gives us [itex]
x = \dfrac{x + 2}{x + 1}[/itex] so a starting point is [tex]x_{n+1} = f(x_n) \equiv \frac{x_n+2}{x_n+1}.[/tex] Although [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is a stable fixed point of this iteration, the convergence is not monotonic ([itex]f'(\sqrt{2}) \in (-1,0)[/itex]); but we can fix that by taking two steps of this iteration, yielding [tex]
x_{n+1} = (f \circ f)(x_n) = \frac{4 + 3x_n}{3 + 2x_n}.[/tex] You can then easily verify that if [itex]x^2 < 2[/itex] then [itex]x < (f \circ f)(x)[/itex] and [itex]((f \circ f)(x))^2 < 2[/itex].

Thanks for replies. Actually, I was trying to prove that ##\{x : x^2 <2 \text { or } x < 0 \} ## is a Dedekind left set. So, what I asked here is part of that proof, where I am showing that the above set does not have a maximal element. Since Dedekind cuts are defined in terms of rational numbers, I can't use any non-rational numbers here.

IssacNewton said:
Since Dedekind cuts are defined in terms of rational numbers, I can't use any non-rational numbers here.
Let
[tex]x=\frac{m}{n},y=\frac{am+1}{an}[/tex]
where a, m and n are positive integers.
[tex]y^2<2[/tex]
[tex](2n^2-m^2)a^2-2ma-1>0[/tex]
Quadratic equation of a
[tex](2n^2-m^2)a^2-2ma-1=0[/tex]
has two real solutions. We know that a, which should be larger than the larger solution, have integer solutions for the inequality.

Likes SammyS
Hello anuttarasammyak, we have to prove that ## y^2 < 2##. You are assuming it to begin with. Also, I did not understand your last line. Can you explain ?

IssacNewton said:
Hello @anuttarasammyak, we have to prove that ## y^2 < 2##. You are assuming it to begin with. Also, I did not understand your last line. Can you explain ?
In the second sentence of the Original Post in this tread, you stated:
IssacNewton said:
I need to come up with some ##y \in \mathbb{Q}## such that ##x<y## and ##y^2 < 2## .
All that @anuttarasammyak has done is to show a way to come up with such a ##y## .

IssacNewton said:
Hello anuttarasammyak, we have to prove that ## y^2 < 2##. You are assuming it to begin with. Also, I did not understand your last line. Can you explain ?
Let  
[tex]x=\frac{m}{n} < \frac{Am+1}{An}=y[/tex]
where A, m and n are positive integers and ##m^2 < 2n^2##.
We want to prove that there exist A which satisfies
[tex]y^2<2[/tex]
which is written as the quadratic inequality,
[tex](2n^2-m^2)A^2-2mA-1>0[/tex].
The associated quadratic equation
[tex](2n^2-m^2)x^2-2mx-1=0[/tex]
has two real opposite sign solutions, say ##\alpha < 0 <\beta##. Any positive integer A > ##\beta## satisfies the inequality thus also satisfies ##y^2<2##.

Last edited:
Ok I see it now. So, we have a parabola in the variable A and since this is upward opening parabola, for any positive integer greater than ##\beta##, the inequality would be positive. Great. My solution is actually smaller on paper, but I had to explain to the audience here, so it looks long.

Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What does the statement "x>1" mean?

This statement means that the value of x is greater than 1.

2. How do you prove that x is less than y?

To prove that x is less than y, we can use the given information that x is greater than 1 and x^2 is less than 2. By taking the square root of both sides of x^2 < 2, we get x < √2. Since √2 is a positive number, we can conclude that x is less than y.

3. Why is it important that x and y are both less than 2?

This is important because it is a crucial part of the given statement. If x and y were not both less than 2, the statement would not hold true.

4. Can you provide an example to demonstrate this statement?

Sure, for example, if x = 1.5 and y = 1.9, then x^2 = 2.25 which is less than 2, and x = 1.5 is less than y = 1.9.

5. What is the significance of the inequality symbols in this statement?

The inequality symbols (< and >) show the relationship between the values of x and y. In this statement, we are trying to prove that x is less than y, and the inequality symbols help us to represent this relationship mathematically.