Elementary Charge / Oil Drop clarification

In summary, Milikan's early experiments involved observing various charge measurements on a single oil drop. By comparing the different measurements, a rough estimate of the elementary charge could be deduced. However, it is not accurate to assume that the difference between two measurements is the elementary charge. Plotting the measurements on a graph or number line can provide a better understanding of the data and help in finding the elementary charge.
Lennox786
In an early set of experiments, Milikan observed that the following measure charges, among others, appeared at different times on a single oil drop. What value of elementary charge can be deduced from these data?

1) 6.563 x 10^-19 C
2) 8.204 x 10^-19 C
3) 11.50 x 10^-19 C
4) 13.13 x 10^-19 C
5) 16.48 x 10^-19 C
6) 18.08 x 10^-19 C
7) 19.71 x 10^-19 C
8) 22.89 x 10^-19 C
9) 26.13 x 10^-19 C

So what i was thinking is, that you would go #2 - #1 = elementary charge which in this case would come out to 1.641 x 10^-19 C.

And if you go #3 - #2, it would give you a mutiple of this elemtary charge. Which in this case would be 3.296 x 10^-19 C. Which is roughly a multiple of the elementary charge i got earlier because if you divide this by 2, you get 1.648 x 10^-19.

So do i keep doing that? then since each elementary charge I get is slightly off, then I just add up and take average?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is OK, but you can't assume that the difference between #2 and #1 is automatically the elementary charge. Furthermore there is nr rule that says you can only compare 3 with 2 and 4 with 3, etc.

Have you considered plotting the measurements on a graph? (well, more like on a numberline as there is no "y-axis" here).

Ok. So how would i go about creating a chart and how would i find the elementary charge with this data?

Set up an "x axis" for charge such that you can plot with 4 sig figs, and put a dot on the axis for each charge you've got.

Then notice the spaces between the dots.

Related to Elementary Charge / Oil Drop clarification

1. What is elementary charge?

Elementary charge refers to the electric charge carried by a single proton or electron. It is the smallest possible unit of electric charge and is represented by the symbol "e".

2. How is elementary charge measured?

Elementary charge is typically measured using an instrument called a Millikan oil drop apparatus. This device allows for the measurement of the charge of individual oil droplets, which can then be used to determine the value of elementary charge.

3. What is the significance of the oil drop experiment?

The oil drop experiment, conducted by Robert Millikan in 1909, was the first direct measurement of the charge of an electron and provided evidence for the existence of elementary charge. It also helped to accurately determine the value of elementary charge.

4. Can the value of elementary charge change?

No, the value of elementary charge is considered a fundamental constant and is not expected to change. It is a fixed value that helps to define the basic properties of matter and electricity.

5. How does elementary charge relate to other fundamental constants?

Elementary charge is related to other fundamental constants, such as the Coulomb constant and Planck's constant, through equations and mathematical relationships. These constants play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of matter and energy.