Elementary particle transformations/couplings

In summary: The other examples mentioned are possible particle transformations and couplings. In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a list or table of all possible elementary particle transformations and couplings from low to high energy states. It is suggested that such a list or table could provide insight into the creation of particles during the early stages of the universe. However, the exact details and feasibility of this idea are unclear and more research is needed. The conversation also mentions the possibility of reflecting the probability of each transformation in the amount of particles present. Finally, a link to a list of known elementary particles and hadrons is provided for reference.
stg213
Hi,

I'm not sure if this idea is something old that's been discussed to death or something I'm not formulating right, but i can't find anything online like what I would expect to.

What I mean, is a list or rather a table of all possible elementary particle transformations and couplings from low to high energy states and vice versa.

For example 2 photons can come together to create an electron. Also an e- neutrino + a W- = e- ; an e- + W- can create a e- neutrino...
An anti/neutrino pair can temporarily annihilate into a Z0. Also W+ + W- -> Z0 + Photon
Z0 can couple to neutrinos and photons (as far as i found).
in udd to udu decay: an antineutrino and an e- is created and a W- exchanged.

What i mean is that this looks like a 'chain', like a list of operations necessary to obtain a certain fermion or boson, from small energy scales to higher energy scales. I was trying to find the complete 'chain' but apparently the idea it's self doesn't have a name or any term i can find.

The idea it's self seems sound as if @ big bang+1 you only had one type of particle and all the rest appeared by interactions between these as the universe cooled down... and by creating very high energy states (like quark-gluon plasma) you can recreate a similar initial state...

I'm not looking at probabilities for such events to occur, but some at least do and i was searching either for a list, a table or ideally for the complete chain. What am I missing here ?

(a random idea: the probability for each transformation should be reflected (aka proportional to) by how much of each type of elementary particle there is... so for example you need 3x quarks + 1 electron / hydrogen atom ; 12 q and 2 e- for one helium atom and i would have no clue how to estimate the amount of bosons that are exchanged / second for each but I'm sure there would be a rough estimate at least => on a large scale the probability amplitude for photon creation by various couplings should be the biggest... followed by idk... the next most frequent coupling by rough amount of particles of that type is present)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, what you mean by "particle transformations", but you can find a list of all (known) elementary particles and hadrons and many of their properties here:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/

vanhees71 said:
I don't know, what you mean by "particle transformations", but you can find a list of all (known) elementary particles and hadrons and many of their properties here:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

To make myself a bit more clear... I mean a list of all possible couplings whereby another elementary particle is created out of an interaction... ex: http://www.quantumdiaries.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/qed_bbbar_sChannel.png (this would be an example of how to create quarks out of an electron/positron pair annihilation aka lepton to hadron transformation)

Ranked by energy levels preferably. Ex: knowing that not any interaction is permitted what would be the necessary 'steps' to create an up quark from let's say... idk.. neutrinos (random example, don't know if it's even possible because i can't find the info :))) )

Regarding the first post, two photons can't come together to make an electron, but an electron-positron pair.

1. What are elementary particles?

Elementary particles are the basic building blocks of matter and energy in the universe. They are the smallest known particles that cannot be broken down into smaller components. There are two categories of elementary particles: fermions, which make up matter, and bosons, which carry forces.

2. What is a particle transformation?

A particle transformation, also known as a particle decay or decay process, is a type of interaction in which one or more particles are transformed into different particles. These transformations occur due to the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for the decay of unstable particles.

3. What are particle couplings?

Particle couplings refer to the interaction between particles. They determine how particles interact with each other and the strength of those interactions. For example, the strong nuclear force is a type of particle coupling that holds atomic nuclei together.

4. How are particle transformations and couplings related?

Particle transformations and couplings are closely related because they both involve the interactions between particles. The strength of a particle coupling can affect the likelihood of a particle transformation occurring. For example, a strong coupling between two particles may result in a higher chance of a particle transformation between them.

5. Why are elementary particle transformations and couplings important in physics?

Elementary particle transformations and couplings play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of physics. They help explain how particles interact with each other and how the universe functions at a microscopic level. Studying these transformations and couplings can also provide insights into the origins and evolution of the universe.