Elementary science project - HELP

In summary, the person is looking for a way to explain to their second grade son which ball will roll down a ramp faster. They plan to use a ramp set at a 30 degree angle and have the son roll a baseball, pool ball, golf ball, and basketball. However, they mention that this may be too advanced for a second grader and explain the concept of acceleration down the ramp and the moment of inertia for different types of spheres. They suggest contrasting the difference between free fall acceleration and the combined rotational inertia and gravitational acceleration of objects on a ramp at different angles. They also suggest looking into gyroscopes to help illustrate the concept of rotational inertia.
KPalmer
I am looking for an easy way to explain to my 2nd grade son which ball will roll down a ramp faster. I have a ramp (more like a trough) set at about 30 deg angle incline. He is going to roll a baseball, pool ball, golf ball, and basket ball down the rramp. He is only 2nd grade so I can't get into the math since he hasn't had multiplication yet. Any suggestions? - This is his science fair project.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be too advanced for a second grader. The acceleration down the ramp is g·sin(incline angle) minus retardation due to the moment of inertia. Solid spheres have a moment of inertia 2mR2/5, while hollow spheres have moment of inertia 2mR2/3. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

The hollow basketball will (should) roll slowest.

Bob S

Pretty complex for a second grader...

Maybe you can contrast the difference relative to free fall?...free fall acceleration due to just gravititational inertia (mass)...versus and the combined rotational inertia and gravitational acceleration [g sin (angle)]...

Think about your trough in a vertical position (free fall objects) and then, the other extreme, horizontal, to contrast the different behavior...and an angle in between...

equal acceleration in the first free fall, no acceleration in horizontal, different acceleration at the "angle". You can illustrate in an angle fall some objects fall slower than others...the slowing is what's called Bob's rotational interia.

I can't think of a simple way of contrasting rotational inertia with free fall inertia...maybe check on gyroscopes??

Related to Elementary science project - HELP

What is an elementary science project?

An elementary science project is a hands-on, investigative activity that allows students to explore and learn about a specific scientific concept or topic. These projects are typically designed for students in elementary school, typically in grades K-5.

How do I choose a topic for an elementary science project?

When choosing a topic for an elementary science project, it is important to consider the interests and abilities of the students. Topics should also align with the curriculum and standards for the grade level. Some good sources for topic ideas include science textbooks, science magazines, and educational websites.

What are the steps to completing an elementary science project?

The steps for completing an elementary science project typically include: 1) Choosing a topic, 2) Conducting research, 3) Formulating a hypothesis, 4) Planning and conducting experiments, 5) Organizing and analyzing data, 6) Drawing conclusions, and 7) Presenting the project. It is important to follow the scientific method and keep a record of all steps and findings throughout the project.

What are some tips for a successful elementary science project?

Some tips for a successful elementary science project include: 1) Choosing a topic that is interesting and manageable, 2) Conducting thorough research and following the scientific method, 3) Using safe and appropriate materials, 4) Asking for help and guidance from teachers or parents, and 5) Making the project visually appealing and well-organized.

How can I make my elementary science project stand out?

To make an elementary science project stand out, try to think outside the box and be creative with your ideas. Use different materials and methods, and try to make your project visually appealing. Additionally, consider incorporating real-life applications or connections to make your project more relevant and meaningful.