Elephant in the way kinetic energy problem.

In summary, the problem involves a 3kg object being released from a height of 5m and the goal is to find the distance traveled before coming to a stop due to the force of a spring with a constant of 100. Using the conservation of energy principle, the gravitational potential energy is equal to the elastic potential energy at the final position. By solving for x, we get the answer of approximately 1.73205 meters.
Bob Loblaw
"Elephant in the way" kinetic energy problem.

Homework Statement

http:/www.imgred.com/http://static.scribd.com/docs/736egzypod07v_files/image004.jpg

I found this on one of those "OMG FUNNY" internet web pages. I am trying to attempt a solution.

Homework Equations

Mechanical energy is conserved so Einitial=Efinal. Uinitial+Kinitial=Ufinal+Kfinal.
mgyinitial+1/2mvinitial^2=mgyfinal+1/2mvfinal^2

The Attempt at a Solution

KE+PE = Total Energy. When the 3kg object is released from a 5m. I am unsure on how to procede with this problem. How does the force constant k of the spring factor into the solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing it wrong.
How to do this problem:
U(initial) {which is gravitational potential energy} = mgh, where h is 5m, m is 3kg, g is 9.81m/s^2.
U(final) {which is elastic potential energy} = 1/2kx^2, where k is 100.
WE WANT X.
W=delta E
Conservation of energy in sys mass, plane, earth. W=0
0=1/2kx^2 - mgh
mgh=1/2kx^2
(2mgh)/k=x^2
So, x=Square Root ((2mgh)/k)
So, the answer in this problem is SqRt((2(3kg)(9.81m/s^2)(5m))/100)
~SqRt 3 = 1.73205 meters

Hope that helped, if you care at this point, months later.

I would first clarify the problem statement and make sure all the relevant information is provided. What is the 3kg object? Is it the elephant mentioned in the title? If so, what are its initial and final positions? What is the 5m referring to? Is it the distance the 3kg object is released from?

Once the problem is clearly defined, I would then proceed with solving it using the given equations and principles of conservation of energy. The force constant of the spring, k, would play a role in calculating the potential energy of the spring, which would be converted into kinetic energy as the 3kg object is released.

I would also consider the mass of the elephant and factor it into the calculation, as it would have a significant impact on the final result. Furthermore, I would also take into account any external factors, such as friction or air resistance, that may affect the energy conservation.

Overall, the solution to this problem would require careful analysis and consideration of all the relevant factors. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a clear and systematic mindset, and to make sure all necessary information is provided before attempting a solution.

1. What is the "Elephant in the way" kinetic energy problem?

The "Elephant in the way" kinetic energy problem is a hypothetical scenario used to explain the concept of kinetic energy. It involves a moving object (the elephant) and an obstacle (the wall) that the object cannot pass through. The problem asks how much kinetic energy the object will have just before hitting the wall and how much energy will be transferred to the wall upon impact.

2. How is kinetic energy defined?

Kinetic energy is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2 (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2).

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy an object has?

The amount of kinetic energy an object has is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier object or an object with a higher velocity will have more kinetic energy than a lighter object or an object with a lower velocity.

4. What happens to the kinetic energy of an object upon impact?

Upon impact, some or all of the kinetic energy of an object will be transferred to the object it collides with. In the "Elephant in the way" problem, the kinetic energy of the elephant will be transferred to the wall upon impact, causing it to move or break depending on the strength of the wall.

5. How is kinetic energy important in real-world applications?

Kinetic energy is important in many real-world applications, such as in transportation (e.g. cars, trains), sports (e.g. baseball, soccer), and everyday activities (e.g. walking, running). It is also a crucial concept in understanding and predicting the behavior of moving objects, such as in engineering and physics.