Elevator Question -- What does a downward acceleration mean?

jwviviang
TL;DR Summary
I just have a question (I don't know how to word this summary, sorry)
If an elevator is moving upward, what does a downward acceleration mean? When applying the free body diagram, will the positive direction be upwards since the elevator is moving up?

Physics news on Phys.org
jwviviang said:
TL;DR Summary: I just have a question (I don't know how to word this summary, sorry)

If an elevator is moving upward, what does a downward acceleration mean?
It means that it is going up, but slowing down. Like it is going up from the lobby and about to stop at some upper floor

jwviviang said:
When applying the free body diagram, will the positive direction be upwards since the elevator is moving up?
In principle you can have up be either positive or negative, whatever you prefer. However, I personally think that having up be negative is confusing, so I would recommend usually choosing up positive.

So your acceleration would be negative and your velocity would be positive.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller, vanhees71 and russ_watters
jwviviang said:
If an elevator is moving upward, what does a downward acceleration mean?
If acceleration has a component opposite to velocity, then the object is slowing down.

jwviviang said:
When applying the free body diagram, will the positive direction be upwards since the elevator is moving up?
You are free to choose the orientation of your coordinate system axes, as long you apply that convention consistently.

Likes jwviviang and vanhees71
A.T. said:
If acceleration has a component opposite to velocity, then the object is slowing down.You are free to choose the orientation of your coordinate system axes, as long you apply that convention consistently.

Dale said:
It means that it is going up, but slowing down. Like it is going up from the lobby and about to stop at some upper floor

In principle you can have up be either positive or negative, whatever you prefer. However, I personally think that having up be negative is confusing, so I would recommend usually choosing up positive.

So your acceleration would be negative and your velocity would be positive.
I see now. So if a question says (for example) "...moving upward elevator...if the elevator has a downward acceleration a = 1.4 m/s^2..." the downward acceleration means a = -1.4 m/s^2?

jwviviang said:
I see now. So if a question says (for example) "...moving upward elevator...if the elevator has a downward acceleration a = 1.4 m/s^2..." the downward acceleration means a = -1.4 m/s^2?
Yes, in the usual setup with up being positive.

1. What does a downward acceleration mean in an elevator?

A downward acceleration in an elevator means that the elevator is moving in the downward direction and its speed is increasing. This can happen when the elevator is going down at a faster rate than the force of gravity pulling it downwards.

2. Is it safe to experience downward acceleration in an elevator?

Yes, it is safe to experience downward acceleration in an elevator as long as it is within the normal operating parameters of the elevator. Elevators are designed to withstand various forces, including acceleration and deceleration, to ensure the safety of passengers.

3. How does downward acceleration affect the feeling of weightlessness in an elevator?

Downward acceleration in an elevator can counteract the force of gravity pulling passengers downwards, creating a sensation of weightlessness. This can happen when the elevator is accelerating downwards at the same rate as the force of gravity, making passengers feel as if they are floating in mid-air.

4. Can downward acceleration in an elevator cause discomfort or motion sickness?

Downward acceleration in an elevator can potentially cause discomfort or motion sickness in some individuals, especially if the acceleration is sudden or prolonged. However, modern elevators are designed to minimize these effects through smooth acceleration and deceleration profiles.

5. How is downward acceleration measured in an elevator?

Downward acceleration in an elevator is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2). This measurement indicates the rate at which the elevator's speed is changing in the downward direction, providing valuable information about the elevator's performance and passenger experience.