Eliminating parameters and graphing parametric equations

In summary, the task is to eliminate the parameter and graph the plane curve represented by the parametric equations x=t^2 and y=t-1, with a given range of -1≤t≤3. The solution involves solving for t in the y equation, substituting it into the x equation, and obtaining the equation x=(y-1)^2. The difficulty lies in determining the domain and range for proper graphing. It may be easier to graph the equations as functions of t rather than in x-y coordinates.
Supreme

Homework Statement

"Eliminate the parameter and graph the plane curve represented by the parametric equations."

x=t^2, y=t-1; -1 ≦ t ≦ 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No need for you guys to graph; I can do that on my own. It would be a lot of work to have you guys graph something.

Solved t with the y equation. y-1 = t
Plugged that into x=t^2. Received x=(y-1)^2.
My problem is that I'm not sure how to find the domain/range so that I can properly graph it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Supreme said:

Homework Statement

"Eliminate the parameter and graph the plane curve represented by the parametric equations."

x=t^2, y=t-1; -1 ≦ t ≦ 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No need for you guys to graph; I can do that on my own. It would be a lot of work to have you guys graph something.

Solved t with the y equation. y-1 = t
Plugged that into x=t^2. Received x=(y-1)^2.
My problem is that I'm not sure how to find the domain/range so that I can properly graph it. Thanks.

Isn't that y+1=t? It's probably easier just to graph it as a function of t. If you want to graph it in x-y coordinates then you should think of x as a function of y.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to eliminate parameters in a parametric equation?

Eliminating parameters in a parametric equation means to express the equation in terms of a single variable, typically in terms of x or y. This allows for easier graphing and analysis of the equation.

2. How do you eliminate parameters in a parametric equation?

To eliminate parameters, you can use substitution or elimination methods. Substitution involves substituting one variable in terms of the other in the equations, while elimination involves eliminating one variable by adding or subtracting the equations.

3. Why is it useful to eliminate parameters in a parametric equation?

Eliminating parameters can make the equation easier to work with, as it allows for a simpler representation on a graph and can also make it easier to solve for specific values. It can also help in finding the relationship between the variables in the equation.

4. Can you graph parametric equations without eliminating parameters?

Yes, it is possible to graph parametric equations without eliminating parameters. However, eliminating parameters can make the graphing process easier and can provide a clearer understanding of the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to eliminating parameters in a parametric equation?

While eliminating parameters can be useful in some cases, it may not always be the most efficient method. Some equations may be more complex to solve after eliminating parameters, and it may also be difficult to determine the domain and range of the equation after eliminating parameters.