Ellipse:Finding major and minor axis

In summary: If the equation is too long, I break it up into multiple lines. The long equation may have been a result of you trying to include too many details in your original post. Try to keep your explanation concise and to the point.In summary, this problem involved solving for the product of two eigenvalues of a diagonalizable matrix. The solution was found by determining the determinant of the matrix and solving for the product of the two eigenvalues. If the equation is too long, it can be split into multiple lines for easier calculation.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The equation [itex]ax^2 + 2hxy+by^2=1 [/itex] represents the equation of ellipse if [itex]h^2-ab<0[/itex]. When x=Xcosθ-Ysiinθ and y=Xsinθ+Ycosθ, the above equation transforms to
[itex]\dfrac{X^2}{\alpha^2} + \dfrac{Y^2}{\beta ^2} = 1 [/itex] where σ and β are real numbers. Then find the product of major and minor axis of this ellipse in terms of h,a,b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried transforming the original equation and ended up with this:

[itex](a \cos ^2 \theta + b \sin ^2 \theta + 2h \cos \theta \sin \theta)X^2[/itex]
[itex] + (a \sin^2 \theta + b \cos ^2 \theta -2h \sin \theta \cos \theta) Y^2[/itex]
[itex] + (-2a \cos \theta \sin \theta +2b \sin \theta \cos \theta +2h \cos^2 \theta - 2h \sin ^2 \theta) = 1 [/itex]

The product of the major and minor axis will be 4αβ. For finding αβ I tried to find the product of coefficients of X^2 and Y^2. But the expression seems too complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi utkarshakash!
utkarshakash said:
[itex](a \cos ^2 \theta + b \sin ^2 \theta + 2h \cos \theta \sin \theta)X^2[/itex]
[itex] + (a \sin^2 \theta + b \cos ^2 \theta -2h \sin \theta \cos \theta) Y^2[/itex]
[itex] + (-2a \cos \theta \sin \theta +2b \sin \theta \cos \theta +2h \cos^2 \theta - 2h \sin ^2 \theta) = 1 [/itex]
Erm...where is XY?

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of the "principal-axis transformation" is to find a orthogonal transformation to diagonalize the representing matrix of the bilinear form on the left-hand side of the equation.

Here you make the ansatz of an arbitrary O(1) transformation. You've already plugged it into your bilinear form. Now you should find [itex]\theta[/itex].

Hint: To that purpose you can drastically simplify the coefficient in front of the "mixed term" [itex]X Y[/itex] by using
[tex]\sin(2 \theta)=2 \sin \theta \cos \theta, \quad \cos(2 \theta)=\cos^2 \theta-\sin^2 \theta.[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
The idea of the "principal-axis transformation" is to find a orthogonal transformation to diagonalize the representing matrix of the bilinear form on the left-hand side of the equation.

Here you make the ansatz of an arbitrary O(1) transformation. You've already plugged it into your bilinear form. Now you should find [itex]\theta[/itex].

Hint: To that purpose you can drastically simplify the coefficient in front of the "mixed term" [itex]X Y[/itex] by using
[tex]\sin(2 \theta)=2 \sin \theta \cos \theta, \quad \cos(2 \theta)=\cos^2 \theta-\sin^2 \theta.[/tex]

I got the correct answer but the calculations were extremely long and tedious. I just want to know if there is some other method which would involve less calculations?

Last edited:
Hi utkarshakash!

I'm not sure how much you know and can work with, so let me just launch into the story and we'll see.

You can write the equation in matrix form as:
$$\begin{pmatrix}x & y\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}a&h \\ h&b\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix} = 1$$
Let's call that matrix ##A##. Since the matrix is symmetric, it is diagonalizable with an orthogonal set of eigenvectors.
The diagonalized form corresponds to the transformed equation.

That means that the 2 eigenvalues of the matrix are identical to ##1/\alpha^2## respectively ##1/\beta^2##.
Calculate the determinant ##\det A=ab-h^2## to find the product of the eigenvalues.

From there you should be able to deduce the product ##2\alpha \cdot 2\beta##...

utkarshakash,
The equation in your attempt in post #1 was way too long, causing the rendered equation to take up too much room. In the future, if you have a very long equation in LaTeX, please split it into multiple lines.

utkarshakash said:
I got the correct answer but the calculations were extremely long and tedious. I just want to know if there is some other method which would involve less calculations?
Not really, but the answer to your question really depends on your background in math. The fact that you think this problem was "extremely long and tedious" suggests you don't have a lot of experience, so I'd guess there's not really a method you're familiar with that requires fewer calculations.

This problem, moreover, was essentially was just algebra and trig. As you get more practice, you'll find it easier to do these types of calculations. I would recommend, in fact, that you go back over your work and see if you can streamline the calculations now that you see how things worked out in the end. It will help you develop your intuition on how to group terms, etc.

vela said:
Not really, but the answer to your question really depends on your background in math. The fact that you think this problem was "extremely long and tedious" suggests you don't have a lot of experience, so I'd guess there's not really a method you're familiar with that requires fewer calculations.

This problem, moreover, was essentially was just algebra and trig. As you get more practice, you'll find it easier to do these types of calculations. I would recommend, in fact, that you go back over your work and see if you can streamline the calculations now that you see how things worked out in the end. It will help you develop your intuition on how to group terms, etc.

I could easily group similar terms(converting trig terms to sin2θ and all that) but I still find it long. :cry: I'm only saying this because If I would face this kind of question in an exam, I'm surely going to lose my precious time for just one question.

utkarshakash said:
I could easily group similar terms(converting trig terms to sin2θ and all that) but I still find it long. :cry: I'm only saying this because If I would face this kind of question in an exam, I'm surely going to lose my precious time for just one question.
Not sure how you did it since you've baulked at posting all your working, but to add to the above...
The requirement for a zero coefficient on XY gives you an expression for tan(2θ).
On taking the product of the X2 and Y2 coefficients, all of the terms involving θ can be collapsed to sin(4θ) and cos(4θ). Then you can use the usual formulae to express those in terms of tan(2θ).

haruspex said:
Not sure how you did it since you've baulked at posting all your working, but to add to the above...
The requirement for a zero coefficient on XY gives you an expression for tan(2θ).
On taking the product of the X2 and Y2 coefficients, all of the terms involving θ can be collapsed to sin(4θ) and cos(4θ). Then you can use the usual formulae to express those in terms of tan(2θ).

I did exactly what you said. :approve:

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape with a curved boundary that is symmetrical about its center. It is formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane that is not parallel to the base of the cone.

2. How do you find the major and minor axis of an ellipse?

The major axis of an ellipse is the longest diameter that passes through the center of the ellipse, while the minor axis is the shortest diameter that passes through the center. To find these axes, you can measure the distance from the center to the edge of the ellipse in multiple directions and choose the longest and shortest measurements respectively.

3. Why is it important to find the major and minor axis of an ellipse?

The major and minor axis of an ellipse are important because they can help determine the shape and size of the ellipse. They are also used in various mathematical equations to calculate the area, circumference, and other properties of an ellipse.

4. What is the difference between the major and minor axis of an ellipse?

The major axis of an ellipse is longer than the minor axis. The major axis also divides the ellipse into two equal halves, while the minor axis divides it into two unequal halves.

5. Can the major and minor axis of an ellipse be equal?

No, the major and minor axis of an ellipse cannot be equal because the major axis is always longer than the minor axis. If they were equal, the shape would be a circle, which has all equal diameters.