Elliptic Function Rotation Problem

In summary: This is an equation in polar coordinates. To get the speed in the x-y plane we eliminate ##\xi## using the first of the two equations above. The result is,$$|v|= \frac{\sqrt(1 + (r/a)^2 - 2r/a\cos(\xi))}{\sqrt(\frac{ma^3}{\alpha})(1-e\cos(\xi))}$$In summary, I have made a rotating point on the perimeter of an ellipse. My problem is that the motion is reversed from the true foci. To simulate Kepler elliptical orbital motion, we can use the equations derived by Landau in polar coordinates, with the speed being a function of the angle and distance
Sabertooth
TL;DR Summary
I have made a rotating point on the perimeter of an ellipse. My problem is that the motion is reversed from the true foci.
Hi all:)
In my recent exploration of Elliptic Function, Curves and Motion I have come upon a handy equation for creating orbital motion.
Essentially I construct a trigonometric function and use the max distance to foci as the boundary for my motion on the x-plane.
Desmos Orbit physicsforum2.png

When I plot a point rotating around the perimeter of my Ellipse I get my desired changing velocity depending on the distance to the foci; shown in this:
https://gyazo.com/9430d22ff4d6f38f2d5bcf381a06db76

However it appears that the point is rotating faster near the ambiguous foci and not the true foci. How can I reverse my function so that the point will move faster near my (0,0) coordinate and slower when it moves further away, instead of the opposite?

Attachments

• desmos orbit pp.png
    desmos orbit pp.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 112
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sabertooth said:
Summary:: I have made a rotating point on the perimeter of an ellipse. My problem is that the motion is reversed from the true foci.

Hi all:)
In my recent exploration of Elliptic Function, Curves and Motion I have come upon a handy equation for creating orbital motion.
Essentially I construct a trigonometric function and use the max distance to foci as the boundary for my motion on the x-plane.
View attachment 269515

When I plot a point rotating around the perimeter of my Ellipse I get my desired changing velocity depending on the distance to the foci; shown in this:
https://gyazo.com/9430d22ff4d6f38f2d5bcf381a06db76

However it appears that the point is rotating faster near the ambiguous foci and not the true foci. How can I reverse my function so that the point will move faster near my (0,0) coordinate and slower when it moves further away, instead of the opposite?
I am not quite clear on what you are trying to simulate with your program. However, if you want to simulate Kepler elliptical orbital motion, for example a comet orbiting the sun, then the book by Landau "Classical Mechanics" gives the solution to the problem in polar coordinates. I assume you have knowledge of calculus. Landau's solution uses polar coordinates show in the image:
elipse.jpg

where ##a## is the semi-major axis, ##b## is the semi-minor axis, ##r## is the distance from the center of the ellipse to a point on its perimeter, and ##\xi## is the angle between ##r## and the semi-minor axis.

Landau derives the equations for Kepler orbital motion to be:$$
r=a(1-e\cos(\xi))
$$
$$
t=\sqrt(\frac{ma^3}{\alpha})(\xi -e\sin(\xi) )
$$
where ##e## is the eccentricity of the ellipse, ##t## is time, ##m## is the reduced mass of the system of two masses and ##\alpha## is the strength of the potential field. Your problem, as I see it, is to find a function the describes the speed ##|v|## of the orbiting mass as a function of the angle ##\xi##. To this end I claim,
$$
|v|= \sqrt(\dot{\xi}^2 + \dot{r}^2 )
$$
where the dot above the variable indicates differentiation w.r.t time. We find,
$$
\dot{r}=e\dot{\xi}\sin(\xi)
$$
To find ##\dot{\xi}## we differentiate ##t## w.r.t ##\xi##,
$$
\frac{dt}{d\xi}= \sqrt(\frac{ma^3}{\alpha})(1-e\cos(\xi))
$$
and therefore,
$$
\dot{\xi}=\frac{1}{\sqrt(\frac{ma^3}{\alpha})(1-e\cos(\xi))}
$$
After some algebra we find the speed as a function of ##\xi##,
$$
|v|=\frac{\sqrt(1+e^2 \sin^2 (\xi))}{\sqrt(\frac{ma^3}{\alpha})(1-e\cos(\xi))}
$$

1. What is the Elliptic Function Rotation Problem?

The Elliptic Function Rotation Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rotation of an elliptic function, which is a special type of complex function that is periodic in two directions. This problem has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and cryptography.

2. How is the Elliptic Function Rotation Problem solved?

The Elliptic Function Rotation Problem can be solved using various techniques, including numerical methods, algebraic methods, and geometric methods. Some common approaches include using the Weierstrass elliptic function, the Jacobi elliptic function, and the Riemann theta function.

3. What are the real-world applications of the Elliptic Function Rotation Problem?

The Elliptic Function Rotation Problem has many real-world applications, including in the design of mechanical systems, control systems, and electronic circuits. It is also used in cryptography for secure communication and data encryption, as well as in physics for studying the motion of celestial bodies.

4. Are there any challenges associated with solving the Elliptic Function Rotation Problem?

Yes, there are some challenges associated with solving the Elliptic Function Rotation Problem. One of the main challenges is that there is no general formula for finding the rotation of an elliptic function. This means that different techniques and approximations must be used depending on the specific function and problem at hand.

5. How is the Elliptic Function Rotation Problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The Elliptic Function Rotation Problem is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as elliptic curves, modular forms, and complex analysis. It is also connected to other problems in geometry, algebra, and number theory. Understanding these connections can provide insights and new approaches for solving the problem.