Describing position on an ellipse as a function of angle

In summary, the position on an ellipse can be described as a function of angle, with the angle being measured from the ellipse's major axis. As the angle increases, the position on the ellipse moves towards the minor axis, reaching the furthest point at 90 degrees and returning back to the major axis at 180 degrees. This position can be expressed using the parametric equations x = a cosθ and y = b sinθ, where a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively. This function can be used to plot the trajectory of an object moving along an elliptical path or to determine the position of a point on an ellipse.
tomwilliam2
My textbook (on celestial mechanics) makes a passing reference to position on an ellipse being expressed as:
##r = a(1 - e \cos E)## before moving on to the substance of the chapter. E is the eccentric anomaly, and r is the distance from the focus to the point on the ellipse.

I'm trying to understand how to derive this expression before moving on. I know that you take the ellipse, with semi-major axis a, and draw an auxiliary circle of radius a around it. Then, the angle opened up as you move around that circle is the eccentric anomaly, E.
Let the foci of the ellipse lie on the x-axis. Now, if ##r_x## is the distance from the centre of the circle to the point on the x-axis which corresponds to the x-component of the position around the auxiliary circle, then:
##\cos E = r_x / a##
because the hypotenuse of the right triangle is the radius, a. I know that ##ae## is the distance from the centre of the circle to the focus of the ellipse. I know that the semi-latus rectum ##p=a(1-e^2)##, and this is the distance from the focus to the ellipse directly above the focus.
Now I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks! That's the kind of review I'm looking for!

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle, with two focal points and a curved boundary. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points (the foci) add up to a constant.

2. How is position on an ellipse described?

Position on an ellipse is typically described using two parameters: the eccentricity (e) and the angle (θ). The eccentricity represents the shape of the ellipse, while the angle represents the position of a point on the ellipse relative to the major axis.

3. What is the major axis of an ellipse?

The major axis of an ellipse is the longest diameter of the ellipse, passing through both foci. It is also known as the principal axis or transverse axis.

4. How is angle measured on an ellipse?

Angle on an ellipse is typically measured from the positive x-axis, starting at the point where the major axis intersects the ellipse. It can be measured in either radians or degrees, depending on the context.

5. Can you provide an example of describing position on an ellipse as a function of angle?

Sure, let's say we have an ellipse with an eccentricity of 0.5 and a major axis of length 6 units. The function for describing position on this ellipse as a function of angle would be r(θ) = 3/(1 + 0.5cos(θ)), where r represents the distance from the center of the ellipse to a point on the ellipse at angle θ. This function would give us the position of any point on the ellipse for a given angle input.